Thread: 9.10 dual boot with Win7, SATA issue on Acer 1810TZ

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

9.10 dual boot with Win7, SATA issue on Acer 1810TZ

My lovely wife got me an Acer 1810TZ for Christmas. The 1810 comes with Windows 7 installed, and I like using Ubuntu, so I shrank the windows partition and installed 9.10, 32 bit desktop and it worked just fine however, (I am a little slow sometimes) I soon realised that I had a 64bit machine and should have a 64 bit OS, so i got 9.10 64bit desktop.

Installing 9.10, 64 bit gave me about two days of random errors - windows would work but ubuntu would fail to load and vice versa. (I will point out that all the way through this, GRUB worked perfectly) Eventually I lost patience and deleted the all of the partitions on the drive (except the recovery and boot partitions) and reinstalled Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 64bit desktop.

Windows works fine but Ubuntu has pages of disk errors when booting and at some point will eventually hang. I had a gut feel about the hard drive set up, so popping into the BIOS I found that the drive has two SATA modes - IDE and AHCI. I spent some time experimenting with these modes and found that:

In AHCI mode, windows 7 works but Ubuntu will fail to boot - usually after 10 minutes of disk and other (to me) random errors.

In IDE mode, Windows 7 will try and boot but will in fact reboot itself just before displaying the windows animated logo. Ubuntu works just fine in this mode however.

Is there a patch for 9.10 64 bit desktop that allows the use of the SATA drive in AHCI mode, so i don't have to keep going into the BIOS settings when wanting to boot into Windows?

Beans
    Distro

Re: 9.10 dual boot with Win7, SATA issue on Acer 1810TZ

It turns out that the BIOS has an update (as described by this thread here
    I'm going to try it and will report my findings here.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 9.10 dual boot with Win7, SATA issue on Acer 1810TZ

I re-flashed the BIOS to the version shown in the link above, and problem solved. Now Windows 7 and 9.10 64bit work side by side, just fine.