Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Ubuntu user

Beans

Brand new Ubuntu user

Well I got tired of using windows vista, so i decided to give Ubuntu a try. I'm currently using ubuntu 9.10 and i don't really have any clue on how to do pretty much anything. I have some questions about ubuntu,

Where should i look to find cool ways to personalize my desktop?
    What programs allow me to access my ipod, if there are any?(2nd gen ipod touch)
    What is the easiest way to get music and pictures from vista to ubuntu if im using dual boot?
    And this sounds dumb, but with vista i could put my laptop to sleep overnight and when i woke up the battery would be where it was, but if i put my laptop to sleep running ubuntu i wake up and its practically dead. Are there any ways to stop that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Brand new Ubuntu user

Well, if you're using Ubuntu you'll be on GNOME. You can go to gnome-look.org to customize things.

There are some ipod access programs. gtkpod for one. I have a ton of things come up for ipod, but I also have extra repositories. I definitely know gtkpod will be accessible to you.

Mount the Windows partition. Just click on the partition in the "Places" menu and when you select that partition it will prompt you to enter your password. If you're using a Wubi install then it will be in the /hosts directory.

You can powertune your laptop with the following:

powertop

Just sudo aptitude install powertop

then run

sudo powertop

It will figure out how to drop your power consumption.

Beans

Sorry, i'm a complete noob. How would i sudo aptitude install powertop?

I just went to my battery preferences and made it so my laptop will hibernate when i close the lid. Hopefully this will fix the problem.
    Last edited by bm14; December 25th, 2009 at 04:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No problem.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

In the resulting box you can type the commands. Let me know if you need more help (I might be away for a bit getting some food, though)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

A lot of the tools for personalizing the desktop are right at your finger tips. For example the top and bottom panels are totally customizable. They can be transparent, auto-hidden, you can have one or both, they can hold many icons, and on and on. You can install a mac like dock (cairo-dock) from synaptic package manager. (System>>Administration>>Synaptic Package Manager.) You can add conky and a conky config file to have all sort of really cool information displayed. You can customize the themes from the appearances menu, and combine icons from one theme with window decorations from another theme. You can get some really sweet themes from Bisigi ppa at Launchpad, and Gnomelook.org. Welcome to Ubuntu-Debian/Gnu/Linux, and the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bm14 View Post
    Well I got tired of using windows vista, so i decided to give Ubuntu a try. I'm currently using ubuntu 9.10 and i don't really have any clue on how to do pretty much anything. I have some questions about ubuntu,

1. Where should i look to find cool ways to personalize my desktop?
    2. What programs allow me to access my ipod, if there are any?(2nd gen ipod touch)
    3. What is the easiest way to get music and pictures from vista to ubuntu if im using dual boot?
    4. And this sounds dumb, but with vista i could put my laptop to sleep overnight and when i woke up the battery would be where it was, but if i put my laptop to sleep running ubuntu i wake up and its practically dead. Are there any ways to stop that?
    1. what "cool ways" are you looking for?
    for desktop eye candy, such as the famous desktop cube (millions on youtube), you will want to install compiz
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-fusion-plugins* compizconfig-settings-manager
    then, you can either right click on desktop, -> properties (or something like this)
    select visual effects.
    then you can fiddle with it as much as you want

or

run
    Code:
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    set the stuff you want, and run
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    to activate it

if your seriously looking for eye candy,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    and selecting KDE as your session (in the login window)
    is the way to go.
    p.s. almost forgot.
    when me or someone else types
    Code:
    sudo apt-get packagename
    you can alternatively install the application by searching for packagename in synaptic
    p.p.s. installing graphics drivers if your using ati/nvidia card is recommended

and personalizing the desktop is easy.
    you can go to gnome-art where there are millions of themes avalible for free.
    download them, and drag and drop the file you just downloaded onto the themes window.

2. gtkpod. that is, providing youve got the non restricted itouch. which i think you do. you will need to jailbreak it if you do.
    for more info, read here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

3. mount your ntfs windows partition using ntfs-config
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
    gksudo ntfs-config
    4. is a currently a bug thats been running accross several releases now
    unless, your talking about hibernate

oh, and have a merry christmas
    Last edited by sandyd; December 25th, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kubuntu? Eww. Nice appearance, terrible applications. I vote 'no'. Konqueror 'nuff said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff918 View Post
    Kubuntu? Eww. Nice appearance, terrible applications. I vote 'no'. Konqueror 'nuff said.
    no problem.
    run dolphin or natilus (actually still works in KDE)
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by carlee View Post
    no problem.
    run dolphin or natilus (actually still works in KDE)
    True Carlee. I greatly prefer the appearance of KDE. It's more sleak and prettier. But it's not just one of the apps. It's pretty much *ALL* of the apps I don't like.

It's all a matter of tastes and preferences. I have tweaked out my desktop where it seems everyone always stops and asks me how my system looks so good (yes, I can brag a little). But, I've stuck with GNOME.

Actually, I really like the look of OpenGEU, but I never kept up with it. They're too slow and too small to exist long term, too.
    Last edited by Geoff918; December 25th, 2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Misspelled prior poster's ID

Beans

For your iPod, try Songbird 1.2. It's pretty similar to iTunes.

I think Songbird has up to 1.6 out, but the iPod support is lacking. It works 100% in 1.2 so I went back to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast