I got a predicament on my hands...My g/f's kid got bored and started playing a java game, I think the name is Runescape, on my desktop. He was amazed by Ubuntu, started asking questions about it. By that night he had d/l a copy and installed it on his laptop. Of course I received a message of why this or that did not work. I told him to bring it by today and I would fix it up.

Well, he d/l and installed the 64bit version of Karmic. I went ahead got the wireless driver, all the codecs I know of, Java, and other post-install packages d/l'd, installed and working. But there was no driver available under restricted drivers for his ATI video card (RS690M[Radeon X1200 Series).

After reading a few post, it is my understanding that the ATI driver is included with Karmic, but it isn't a driver from ATI...am I correct? I am able to run compiz with full effects. The problem is with the java game. This java game he plays, well, on my desktop he is able to choose HD. On the that computer I am running 8.10 with an nvidia card. On his laptop, he is not able to choose HD. Both computers are running 3.5.x Firefox.

Here is my question: Is this a karmic problem, a 64bit problem, or a java problem?

PS - sorry if it is TMI, but I have had this kid all ticked off because of it and it is driving me up a wall!
Thanx in advance!