Thread: Help please!!!

Beans

Help please!!!

I need help on installing the desktop version from the server version. I need to be able to use it as desktop not as a server.

Please Help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help please!!!

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    The server and the desktop version are in most respects the same. The command will install the desktop for you, then you will have, for all intents and purposes, a desktop install. You may have to then install things like open office and evolution. I don't know if they are included in the server version.
    Michael

Beans

I'm just wondering what was wrong with the ubuntu-desktop version in the first place. Why install the desktop version form the server version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    +1
    You may have to then install things like open office and evolution. I don't know if they are included in the server version.
    The package ubuntu-desktop is a meta-package. All it does is depend on all the normal Gnome desktop packages, such as xorg, open office, firefox, evolution, etc. So installing it will drag them all in as dependencies.

If you're no longer using any server packages that you installed then uninstall or disable them. They're a potential security risk on a desktop machine.
    Last edited by Paqman; December 22nd, 2009 at 07:15 PM.