Thread: Constant Desktop Freezing (Compiz Related)

Beans

Constant Desktop Freezing (Compiz Related)

Hi all,

I've been having this issue since the release of karmic and though I can usually ignore it, it's been happening frequently enough that I decided to post about it!

Basically my screen will flicker for a second and everything will lock up, it'll flicker again a few seconds later and I'll be able to move my mouse around but the desktop is completely frozen. Sometimes a few seconds later the screen flickers a few more times. I usually spam ctrl+alt+backspace 'till it kills X since I've let it sit hoping to get my desktop back to no avail.

There doesn't seem to be a particular event triggering it. It just happens when I'm browsing, watching flash videos, working on photos in GIMP or Bibble. The only time it doesn't happen is when I disable compiz and run without composition.

My system :

Ubuntu 9.10
    Vid Card : GTX 260 driver version 185.

Just hoping to see if anyone else has the same issue and possibly a solution.

Thank you,

EDLT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Constant Desktop Freezing (Compiz Related)

What screen resolution are you running at?

try lowering it and see if that helps.
    I have a major malfunction!

Beans

Max for my LCD monitor, 1680x1050. Turned it on this morning and went to run some errands and when I got back it froze. So apparently it freezes while idle too.

Beans

Updated to 195.30 drivers and haven't had any issues all morning *crosses fingers*