Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introductions Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Introductions Thread

If you feel so inclined post a reply to this thread introducing yourself. I'll start.

My name is Linda. I work in Seattle and live in the South Snohomish County area. I'm a long time linux user and have been using Ubuntu in the work place for the past 2 or so years. I'm transitioning to Ubuntu on my various workstations. I've just recently joined the Ubuntu community. I am helping to organize and reenergize the Washington LoCo, and I am active in the Ubuntu-Women project.
    Last edited by althara; December 22nd, 2009 at 02:08 AM.

Beans

Re: Introductions Thread

Nice to see it up!! I live and work in the Walla Walla area. Have been using personal computers since mid seventies having built an Altair and then moving on to the PET, C=64, Amiga, using and writing for operating systems such as Unix, Mac, OS/2, Amiga, Linux, C=64/128, and Video Toaster. I like Ubuntu especially in the KDE flavor except for version 4 which was a tad pre-mature in release. It is much better now and very much worth a look!

Beans

Smile Re: Introductions Thread

Hi, I'm Valorie Zimmerman (nee' Cowan). I've lived in Washington all my life - born in Renton, grew up in Issaquah, and now live just outside Black Diamond. I've been using linux since 2001 or 2; whenever Win2K started showing its age. Both my son Thomas and my friends in the Linuxchix have supported me along the way.

After Mandrake and Gentoo, I moved to Kubuntu, and have recently become active in Ubuntu-Women, after learning about it through Linuxchix. Linda/althara invited me to the LoCo channel, and here we are! I've recently gotten active in the support community for my favorite music player Amarok, so this is all very exciting. I hope that the LoCo can work together with existing local FOSS groups to make more of a splash for Free Software in Washington state.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello all,

Another one from the 'dry' side of the mountains - Wenatchee to be specific. Born-n-raised in western Nebraska, this is as far 'west' in this state as my wife could get me to move. Actually I'd be happier down around the Tri-Cities, but I've got a job here (hydro power plant operator on the Columbia River) that pays the bills...

This past year I started drifting back to Linux after a long absence. My first exposure to Linux was around...1995 or 96, when I was (then) interested in trying C/C++ but couldn't afford what M$ asked for a copy of Visual C++ at the time (EM2/SS pay in the Navy not being all that grand). A shipmate suggested this weird Linux thing and down the rabbit hole I went. Slackware, then Redhat, then Suse, then some dabbling with most of the offerings out there: Mandrake, Debian, Corel, TurboLinux, Gentoo etc. Had a small stack of old PCs bought off ebay that I played with for a while, but eventually I got tired of beating my head against the monitor trying to get seemingly basic things to work like printing, sound, etc. Those of you who remember hacking your X11 config files know what I mean. So when Mac OS X hit 10.1 or so, I defected

Now... a number of years later when I was getting somewhat bored again I picked up an older PC and started tinkering again. Then when I got a new desktop PC with oodles of HDD space and buku RAM... I discovered Virtualbox. So now I have a virtual sandbox to try just about anything in, good bad or otherwise. My current goal is to set up a virtual LAN and use that for training/education to learn how to make things work *before* I put them online for real. Ubuntu didn't exist when I left Linux, not sure it was even a thought in anyone's head. Today... despite my tendency to distro-hop, I keep coming back to Ubuntu because of two things: its Debian heritage, and frankly, I am sick and tired of the incessant sniping and generally viperish behavior that I run into on other distros regarding 'others'. I haven't ran into that in the Ubuntu community yet, so I figure I'll stay a while.

Monte

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My name is Ahmed and I live out in Seattle! I grew up tinkering with Linux in my dads labs but never seriously played with it until about 4 years ago.
    I was running Ubuntu for about 3 years until switching over to Arch Linux. I still consider Ubuntu to be a great distribution and am a passionate advocate for it's use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Introductions Thread

I'm Vince. I'm in Olympia. I've been using ubuntu (actually linux mint) for about 4 months, but it seems more like a year. I've been trying to get involved in the community, and would love to help, though I'm still trying to find my nitch.
    I have two kids, a beautiful wife, and a couple years of school left before I can start a career doing something in the network admin field.

VIVA UBUNTU!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm Collin Dahl, I have been using Linux since 2006, starting with Xubuntu 6.06. I have since then used Fedora, Damn Small, Puppy, Fluxbuntu, Kubuntu, PC-BSD, MINIX, tomsrtbt, Mint, Gentoo, and Mandriva, and eventually settled on vanilla Ubuntu. I had previously been using Windows XP since 2005, and Windows 98 since 1998 (when I was 3, mind you!). I live in Lynnwood, and I dabble in Python, play lots of Quake, and attend Linuxfest Northwest every year.

And yes, normally I am used to IRC channels with 100+ people constantly chatting away.
    Last edited by xuCGC002; December 30th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi! My name is Ian MacGregor and I just joined the Washington LoCo team!
    I've been using Linux since 2001 and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also been blogging about Ubuntu and Linux related stuff for a while. Some of you may know me as ardchoille in #ubuntu, where I have been helping others for a few years. I'm also on the Ubuntu forums as ardchoille42.

Glad to be here!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello everyone. I work in Seattle and live in South Snohomish county. I first used UNIX based systems (AIX, HP-UX, SunOS/Solaris, IRIX, netBSD, Redhat) in the early 90s, then was stuck in windows world from around 97-06. At home I primarily run ubuntu (with one debian testing and XP install in VMs and one laptop that is dual boot Vista/Ubuntu). I primarily use Linux for HTPCs, web applications, and various other servers, although it is also used as our primary desktop.

I've been around the ubuntu forums for a while - and when I have time I try to help out as much as I can with ubuntu user problems.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: Introductions Thread

Hi there:

My name is Larry and I've been working with *ix OSes on and off for almost 25 years now. My biggest enthusiasm for Ubuntu is it's accessibility to regular computer users. I've been promoting/encouraging/evangelizing it's use as a direct substitute for various Microsoft products for about a year now.

At home, I run Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Ubuntu (of course) and occasionally Windows.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast