Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Beans

Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi everyone,

I had a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu (9.04), with Vista as the loader (I don't entirely know what that means, though I think I have a good idea -- can anyone expound on the subject, please?), and I recently installed Windows 7 (on the same partition that Vista previously was installed on) -- note that this was a clean install, not an upgrade. Now, when I start my computer, it automatically loads Windows 7 -- I have no choice anymore. But that partition still exists. I believe that this has to do with the fact that Vista was the loader but now no longer exists. What can I do to get it working again? Do I have to reinstall Ubuntu again?

Thank you for all of your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows 7 and Ubuntu

If still using grub-legacy (which is the default bootloader in 9.04) follow this.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, I don't have my live Ubuntu cd with me (and I won't for a while) -- can I simply burn another one and boot into that? Also, does it have to be Ubuntu 9.04? What if I download and burn the Ubuntu 9.10 version?

Beans
    Distro

Any Ubuntu CD with the correct version should work.
    But if you have 9.04, I don't think a 9.10 CD would do it, because the boot loader has changed between these versions.
    Ubuntu User #27453 | Linux User #490358
    "Don't preach Linux, mention it"
    "Linux is not Windows"
    73% of statistics in forums are made up on the spot

Beans
    Distro

9.10 has grub 2 as the default bootloader - it will not allow reinstallation of grub-legacy as the two versions of grub are completely different. Easiest thing would be to download and burn a .iso of 9.04, then follow the guide.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans

Thank you all so much for your help -- I was able to get the grub-legacy bootloader to start working again. Now, is the boot menu list editable? I ask this because it still says Windows Vista, though I now have Windows 7. Also, it lists every single kernel of Ubuntu that I have updated to, and I want to remove all but the most recent of the kernels. Also, I would like to modify the default OS. Is there anyway I can do all of this? Or maybe it will correct itself when I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by theturbanator View Post
    Thank you all so much for your help -- I was able to get the grub-legacy bootloader to start working again. Now, is the boot menu list editable? I ask this because it still says Windows Vista, though I now have Windows 7. Also, it lists every single kernel of Ubuntu that I have updated to, and I want to remove all but the most recent of the kernels. Also, I would like to modify the default OS. Is there anyway I can do all of this? Or maybe it will correct itself when I upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10?
    If you get me more info I can tell you what to edit to add any OS you want to boot from GRUB.

Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot into Ubuntu. Come back here and use the link in my signature to download the Boot Info Script to the desktop. Once on desktop open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run this command
    Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    If you get me more info I can tell you what to edit to add any OS you want to boot from GRUB.

Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot into Ubuntu. Come back here and use the link in my signature to download the Boot Info Script to the desktop. Once on desktop open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run this command
    Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text
    Hey not my original post but I have the same issue... I tried as you suggested above sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh and got back a No such file or directory I am using 9.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

rivacoe, please start a new thread with your problem even if it is similar as it gets confusing on who we are replying to.

Karmic now downloads into of all things /Downloads if in a working system. And my version 041 of the script put results into /home/fred - my home directory. I am not sure on download from liveCD anymore.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast