Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [How-To] Get lightning working with Thunderbird 3.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[How-To] Get lightning working with Thunderbird 3.0

So, let's say you just downloaded Thunderbird 3 using Ubuntuzilla and you want to get Lightning (the greatest calendar extension) working. Mozilla Addons site now provides Lightning 1.0b1 version of Lightning which is considering current stable version. You may also consider Provider for Google Calendar which integrates your Thunderbird with online Google Calendar.

ALTERNATIVELY, if you want to perform manual installation, follow the following steps.
    • Point your browser to http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...b1/linux-i686/
      If you are in US, consider going into en-US directory.
    • Right-click the link named lightning.xpi and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the file to your hard disk, let's say to Desktop.
    • Right-click the link named gdata-provider.xpi and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the file to your hard disk, let's say to Desktop.
    • In Mozilla Thunderbird, open Add-ons from the Tools menu, and select Extensions icon.
    • Click the Install button, and locate/select the files you downloaded and click "OK".
    • Restart Thunderbird.
    • Set up your Google Calendar login and enjoy read/write support from within Thunderbird tabs.

Source: Inspired by Lightning/Calendar blog.
    Last edited by michael37; January 27th, 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Lightning added to Mozilla add-ons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [How-To] Get lightning working with Thunderbird 3.0

Thanks for this howto! I'm sticky-ing it for the time being - at least until lightning 1.0 makes release.

Beans
    Distro

Thunderbird 3 with tabs and with Calendar and Tasks in tabs looks totally awesome.

Courtesy of this wonderful review.

Can't wait for the Lightning 1 release.

Beans

Instruction you gave helped me a lot. Thanks!

However I was not able to start Google Provider right away. For some strange reason first I needed to install xpi file for Google Provider Extension from en-US subdirectory.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...ux-i686/en-US/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by qva5 View Post
    Instruction you gave helped me a lot. Thanks!

However I was not able to start Google Provider right away. For some strange reason first I needed to install xpi file for Google Provider Extension from en-US subdirectory.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...ux-i686/en-US/
    Curious. It works for me. Are you saying that one gdata-provider.xpi (non-localized, the one that I showed) was not enough and you replaced it with another gdata-provider.xpi (localized for US)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael37 View Post
    Curious. It works for me. Are you saying that one gdata-provider.xpi (non-localized, the one that I showed) was not enough and you replaced it with another gdata-provider.xpi (localized for US)?
    Indeed... twiece I have tried to install non-localize gdata-provider.xpi, but each time the extension has been shown as disabled and below it a information about something missing has been displayed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: [How-To] Get lightning working with Thunderbird 3.0

I got exactly same problem, gdata-provider is disabled because Thunderbird claims that a component is missing?! I use last nighty build of lightning, I don't know if it could be related...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by el cameleon View Post
    I got exactly same problem, gdata-provider is disabled because Thunderbird claims that a component is missing?! I use last nighty build of lightning, I don't know if it could be related...
    Have you tried installing components from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...ux-i686/en-US/ ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by qva5 View Post
    Have you tried installing components from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...ux-i686/en-US/ ?
    Thanks, I have updated lightning with the one available and now it works!

Beans

Works very well.

Tell me, is the calendar I see in Thunderbird 3.0 linked directly to Google calendars under my gmail account name?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast