Thread: How-to Install 9.10 on fakeraid

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How-to Install 9.10 karmic on fakeraid

This is how I installed 9.10 karmic onto a stripped fakeraid Raid 0 array. These instructions may or may not work for a mirrored raid 1 array, I have gotten limited feedback on this. All you really need is the LiveCD and an internet connection. The steps outlined here are used after Ubuntu has been installed but fails to boot. Just load the LiveCD environment and follow these steps. Mind you this may be a daunting task to a person new to Ubuntu but if you have any command line experience you should be fine. I made this how-to cause I felt many others were lacking in some areas. I had searched around the net and found bits and pieces to make this work and thought how nice to have it all in one spot so here it is. ##Note this works on ext4 w/o any patch, 9.10 no longer requires install via Alternate CD as the LiveCD has dmraid included, also note fdisk does not work well with dmraid use gparted instead.

1. Open a terminal: Applications, Accessories, Terminal.

2. Create a mounting point
    sudo mkdir /mnt/root

3. ls /dev/mapper
    In this example the output would have shown "nvidia_cffbdeda, nvidia_cffbdeda1, nvidia_cffbdeda2" where nvidia_cffbdeda is the hdd. All the others listing a # on the end are the partitions. If you don't know what partition is the root of your installation check out gparted. I will use nvidia_cffbdeda1 in the following steps as an example for mounting and chrooting into the installation.

4. Mount the installation
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_cffbdeda1 /mnt/root
    *If this fails use nautilus (thunar in xbuntu) to mount your Ubuntu root partition then use mount to find the mount location. This location will be used in place of /mnt/root in the following steps.
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
    sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/root/proc
    sudo mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/root/sys
    sudo mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/root/dev/pts
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/root/etc/resolv.conf

5. Login into the installation
    sudo chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash

6.Fetch most recent package lists
    apt-get update

7. Remove GRUB2
    apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
    rm -r /boot/grub
    ##The system will be unbootable until another bootloader is installed.

8. Install GRUB 0.97
    apt-get install grub
    grub-install /dev/mapper/xxx ##note please substitute your hdd in this line (mine would have been nvidia_cffbdeda)

9. At this point it may be a good idea to check the device.map
    chmod 777 /boot/grub/device.map##For write access
    nano /boot/grub/device.map
    Mine was incorrect and I changed it to:
    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/mapper/nvidia_cffbdeda ##was listed as /dev/sda which is incorrect
    (hd1) /dev/sdc
    Afterwards use this to restore file permissions
    chmod 744 /boot/grub/device.map
    If changes were made then re-run grub-install

10. grub --no-curses ##you will now be at the grub prompt##
    grub> device (hdx) /dev/mapper/xxx ##note please substitute your hdd in this line
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 ##make a note of the output it is used in the next step
    grub> root (hdx,y) ##(hdx,y) where x is the drive (most likely 0) and y is the partition (first partition would be 0 NOT 1)
    setup (hdx)
    quit
    update-grub
    ##When prompted to generate a menu.lst file say yes

13. Run these commands to keep it from upgrading automatically:
    echo "grub hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    echo "grub-common hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections

14. Reboot

As much as I have tried to make this guide complete it seems to not work for some people and anyhelp I can get in making this guide complete is much appreciated. Namely Raid 1 issues.
    Step 10 problems arise when you don't specify the correct device for (hd0)
    BIOS boot order can also affect this step so make sure it's correct
    In some extreme cases it's necessary to remove other hard drives from the sys as some cheap motherboards lack the understanding of fakeraid and tell grub IDE devices boot first. Thus effectively installing grub to the wrong disk in some cases.
    Last edited by gilson585; January 23rd, 2010 at 01:12 PM.