Thread: Mobile Broadband dongles with Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Mobile Broadband dongles with Ubuntu 9.04

Hi, I am trying to find out what 3g pay as you go dongles work with ubuntu 9.04. I have found out that the 3 Huawei e160g works with ubuntu 8.10. However, which pay as you go dongles work out of the box on ubuntu 9.04. I do not mind which network they are on!

Thanks, Calebk

Beans

Re: Mobile Broadband dongles with Ubuntu 9.04

Hi, i forgot to mention i am using ubuntu netbook remix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's the one I use with both 8.10 and 9.04 - installation is just as easy in both and it works sweet as (haven't tried remix on my mini9 yet). I'm using it with the Three prepaid here in Oz, $149 for 12Gb which has a 12 month expiry, all the others seemed to be 3 months max.

One final thing... if your network insists on communicating with you via SMS only via the dongle (like Three do for passwords), you can install and use Wammu to read the SMS from the SIM.
    Last edited by mtbsoft; May 5th, 2009 at 06:15 AM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Mobile Broadband dongles with Ubuntu 9.04

I am totally lost ere guys !!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my little sister a dell inspiron mini 10v 4 xmas only on setting it up did i find out there is no windows (need to buy seperatly £69.99!!) Only i also bought a o2 pay as you go dongle to go with it. I cant seem to install it on the notebook and its xmas in 4 days. any ideas b4 i go insane please ? xxx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, so which version of Ubuntu did you install and what model of dongle did you buy (I'm in Oz, so not familiar with what O2 models there are).