Thread: Display problem at startup

Beans

Display problem at startup

Hi, this is my first post here..

I recently installed Ubuntu on my Sony Vaio laptop. Originally it started up and displayed correctly, however I tried to extend the desktop on to my second monitor. I think I may have adjusted the display drivers or something and now when Ubuntu starts, after the loading screen, the display goes black. It flicks a few times but then stays black and nothing else happens. Windows starts and displays fine as before.

As it's a fresh install I don't mind re-installing Ubuntu, but if there's a way I could get this install working with my second monitor that would be great. Is there a Linx equivalent for the Windows system restore or anything?

Thanks
    Adam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Display problem at startup

There is no system restore in Ubuntu, but booting in recovery mode and selecting xfix should get the display working again. I've no idea how to set up the external one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Try reconnecting the second monitor and reboot. If you get one of the screens to show you can reset back to normal. I had that problem when trying to use a TV as a second monitor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    There is no system restore in Ubuntu, but booting in recovery mode and selecting xfix should get the display working again.
    Thanks, how do I boot in recovery mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Adammm View Post
    Thanks, how do I boot in recovery mode?
    It is the next menu selection after each kernel selection on the boot screen.