Thread: Can I replace Windows 6.1 on my T-Mo. Shadow 2009?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can I replace Windows 6.1 on my T-Mo. Shadow 2009?

I spent $320 on a phone, mainly so I can use it for its Wi-Fi/UMA technology. But, unfortunately the Phone: a T-mobile Shadow 2009, comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 preinstalled. And although I am getting used to it, I would rather "get used to" a version of Linux on there instead. Mainly because I cannot customize WM 6.1 that much. Since I am 'Winblows Free' on all 3 of my home computers, I can't "Sync" the device to copy Mp3's and stuff to the phone either.

I am considering taking it back and getting a blackberry pearl instead. But the shadow looks cool and I dont like tiny cell phones, since I am kind of a big guy.

I don't believe that this device is Ubuntu Mobile capable, at least not easily without doing some level of reverse engineering.

http://www.gsmarena.com/t_mobile_shadow_2-2656.php

Beans

Re: Can I replace Windows 6.1 on my T-Mo. Shadow 2009?

Return it and get a MyTouch.
    Android is derived from Linux, you can root it and have all the fun you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yep, I agree with stenci. BB Pearl is a small phone compared to the MyTouch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a rooted G1 from T-Mo running Android. Hands down the greatest piece of hand-held technology I've ever used. And this is someone coming from a long line of Windows Mobile duds.

Underneath the pretty interface its Linux through and through. Many of the same tools, runs Debian in a bootstrap, the works. Can't recommend it enough.
    Windows has and has always had zero TCO, because Microsoft owns it and you never do. You may be charged for the joy of possibly being allowed to use Windows, if you're a good boy or girl. But it's really totally free of ownership costs.