Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get my Fujitsu T4220 tablet to work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Trying to get my Fujitsu T4220 tablet to work

I have a Fujitsu T4220, tablet laptop (the kind where the screen can fold flat and then you can draw on it). However, I just installed Ubuntu 9.10, and it doesn't recognise the pen at all. I had Intrepid install a while ago, and it at least recognised that I had a pen (and I was able to use it as a mouse).

I was looking at this guide: <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T4220>, but it doesn't have instruction for Karmic. Does anyone know how I can get this working, or where I would start?

SOLUTION:
    1) "sudo apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom"
    2) use the .fdi file provided by Favux (see post below). You do not need to install linuxwacom 0.8.4-4
    3) run "wacomcpl" to calibrate (this can be frustrating as the mapping for your pen will be *totally* messed up). Instead you can try the .xinitrc that I posted below
    Last edited by raccoonone; December 20th, 2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro

Re: Trying to get my Fujitsu T4220 tablet to work

Hi raccoonone,

Did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Be sure to use Update Manager and make sure your system is completely up to date.

Then try one of the two 10-linuxwacom .fdi's attached to the bottom of this HOW TO. Either should work for you as you have a serial Wacom tablet pc. Instructions are in Section 2 b).

Beans
    Distro

Hi Favux,

I have 32bit, and have installed all the latest updates. I tried both of the .fdi file you suggested, but I'm still having problems. I also followed the guide in section 1 to install linuxwacom.

I can see my stylus in both xinput --list, and xsetwacom list, but when I touch the stylus to the screen the cursor simply disappears. I tried using wacomcpl to calibrate it, but got the same behavior of a disappearing cursor.

I read through a couple of your other posts, and then looked at the output of lshal, which lists pnp_FUJ02e5. So I think my device should work.

Any suggests as to where to go from here? (maybe try the dev version of linuxwacom?)

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Hi raccoonone,

So you installed linuxwacom 0.8.4-4? I wouldn't install 0.8.5-7 because it won't let you restart and besides I don't think linuxwacom is the problem.

That's too bad. I thought the problem was with 64-bit, but it looks like it affects at least some 32-bit installs too.

Some have reported using 0.8.4-4 fixed it for them. So that was reasonable to try.

Others say that restarting X fixes it for them. Something to do with plug and play maybe, at least it's different in Xorg.0.log after a X restart. To set up X restart in Karmic see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=654

Maybe it's partially a baud rate problem? If we specified the baud in the .fdi?

Beans
    Distro

Yep, I installed 0.8.4-4. I tried restarting X, but that had no effect. One thing I noticed though, is that although my stylus is listed there is no listing for the eraser.
    Also, after more testing. The cursor doesn't disappear when I try to use the stylus. It's simply moved to the lower right hand corner. I wonder, if the stylus could be mapping to a screen with different coordinates, or something like that?

Beans
    Distro

Hi raccoonone,

The stylus moving to a corner like that usually indicates X isn't getting input. I wonder if you managed the linuxwacom compile and install correctly?

Beans
    Distro

So, I finally made some progress.

It turns out it was just mapping the coordinates in a super weird way. The very upper left corner of my tablet was some how mapped to the entire screen, so after much hassle I managed to click on the calibration squares in wacomcpl.

I've attached my .xinitrc, in case anyone else has the same problem as me.

Now, the only thing I can't get working is the eraser. Any suggestions there? neither xinput --list or xsetwacom list, will show it.

Beans
    Distro

Hi raccoonone,

Your attachment didn't post. I think something hinky may be going on. Could you also post your "xinput --list"?

Beans
    Distro

Here we go, I've attached them. (note, this xinput --list is from using the version of linuxwacom in the Karmic repo (0.8.4-1))

I've been playing around a bit more, and discovered that by removing linuxwacom and reinstalling the version in the Karmic repo, I was able to get the eraser to show up in "xinput --list" again. Of course, now "xsetwacom list" doesn't see either the stylus or the eraser.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi raccoonone,

That's because you now again have the default 10-linuxwacom.fdi which won't return stylus and eraser. You have to use one of the modified .fdi's attached to the HOW TO or rec's script.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast