Thread: GDM2 Configuration Tool

Threaded View

Beans

GDM2 Configuration Tool

Hey guys, I wrote a tool to let you configure a bit more of the new GDM that comes with Karmic Koala.

It took me nearly a whole day (i've not used GTK with python before!) so I hope it helps someone as i'll consider it a success. Note that it requires imagemagick to work correctly and to enable you to do fancy stuff to the background image (blur is only available option in this currently).

It's fairly late now and I'm tired but from what I can see it works on my system but standard disclaimer applies (IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT ) as I can't promise your curtains/cat won't catch fire due to it.

Enjoy

UPDATE: So the awesome Growlf has done some great work based on my original and there is now a Gladey version available that doesn't depend on ImageMagick. Maybe we can get the Ubuntu guys to include this in lieu of the current one if nothing new comes along for Lucid?

How to install:
    Add the new repository
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gdm2setup/gdm2setup
    update your packages
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    install it!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-gdm2setup
    This should now appear under System>Administration>Login Screen(GDM2Setup). Run it and see how you get on!

Any feedback, post in this thread, or join the group and do some development!

The original script is included still if you just want to mess with it but the preferred way is to use the PPA
    When you download it you have to make it executable using:
    Code:
    chmod u+x ./gdm-setup.py
    and then you can run it as often as needed with:
    Code:
    gksudo ./gdm-setup.py
    all from within the terminal.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by exosyst; January 30th, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Growlf is awesome