Thread: Double installation

Beans

Double installation

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 twice on my Dell laptop without realizing it. I am running Ubuntu on a partitioned HD so have the choice of using WinXP while I become used to Ubuntu. How do I remove one of the two Ubuntu installs? Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Double installation

Quote Originally Posted by jburkhart View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 9.04 twice on my Dell laptop without realizing it. I am running Ubuntu on a partitioned HD so have the choice of using WinXP while I become used to Ubuntu. How do I remove one of the two Ubuntu installs? Thanks for any help.

Just to double-check .... you mean 2 ubuntu root (system) installs or, 2 kernels?

You can use the liveCD and in live session access gparted (system > admin > partition editor) to remove the unwanted root install.

Here's the documentation on gparted.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Question Re: Double installation

I'm really new at this, so bear with me... It appears to be two kernels, although when I get the boot screen for a choice of which OS to boot, I have Ubuntu, then WinXP, then Ubuntu again and the two different Ubuntu choices are different as I had different desktop displays on the two different Ubuntu choices. Root or Kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jburkhart View Post
    I'm really new at this, so bear with me... It appears to be two kernels, although when I get the boot screen for a choice of which OS to boot, I have Ubuntu, then WinXP, then Ubuntu again and the two different Ubuntu choices are different as I had different desktop displays on the two different Ubuntu choices. Root or Kernel?
    Can you do a screen print of your GRUB menu? If you can't do that, do type up the two Ubuntu versions that you see during GRUB boot up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dhavalbbhatt View Post
    Can you do a screen print of your GRUB menu? If you can't do that, do type up the two Ubuntu versions that you see during GRUB boot up.
    either a print screen or ... in ubuntu, access a terminal (applications > accessories) and type

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    small L. Copy and paste back the results in your next post.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow