Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to set up a Trust graphics tablet on ubuntu karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to set up a Trust graphics tablet on ubuntu karmic.

********** UPDATE 15th October 2010 **********

UP until last night the wizardpen driver wasn't working for a lot of people in maverick, however due to some work by Negora and Dr Mo the driver is now working on maverick, at least for me, you can install the driver already if you have the drmo ppa installed, if not you can add the ppa mentioned in this thread and install the driver using synaptic.

I would recommend removing any other versions of the wizardpen driver before installing the new one.

Please also consider adding your tablet information to this page ---> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GraphicsTablet
    and please see this for more information ---> https://lists.launchpad.net/wizardpe.../msg00000.html

****** UPDATE 5th May - 2010 ******

As of 10.4 (lucid lynx) getting the trust tb-6300 (the tablet I use) to work is pretty easy, and as far as I know the other tablets listed in this post and the wiki should also work, with minimal tweaking.

You still need to make sure the following are installed as well
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xutils libx11-dev libxext-dev x-dev build-essential xautomation xinput xserver-xorg-dev
    So for lucid add this to your sources list - ppa:doctormo/xorg-wizardpen I normally do this through synaptic, once added reload and look for the wizardpen entry, just type wizardpen into the quick search filed.

Install the driver, then reboot just to make sure, or restart the session and you should be good to go.

If you want to adjust the way your tablet behaves then you need to edit the ----> 70-wizardpen.conf file this can be found here ----> /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d it may be in a different place to me, so if you can't find it there look here ---> /etc/xorg.conf.d

You can either edit as root or copy the file to your home directory and edit it there (this is what I did, I also saved the original file first, in case of issues)

This is my config file for reference, this works for the Trust-tb-6300, and it works really well for me, so hopefully it will work for others.

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "wizardpen"
       MatchIsTablet "on"
       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
       MatchVendor "UC-LOGIC|KYE Systems|Ace Cad"
       Driver "wizardpen"
    Option "TopX" "2199"
       Option "TopY" "3598"
       Option "BottomX" "30325"
       Option "BottomY" "29278"
       Option "TopZ" "10"
       Option "BottomZ" "1023"
    EndSection
    Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "wizardpen ignore mouse dev"
       MatchIsTablet "on"
       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
       MatchVendor "UC-LOGIC|KYE Systems|Ace Cad"
       Driver ""
    EndSection
    You can also use the method below and install from bzr, but as far as I know the bzr version is the same as the version from the ppa

If you experience problems with anything relating to the wizardpen driver and your tablet by all means post in this thread and those of us that keep an eye on it will try and help, any bugs you feel there are you really will be helping by posting bug reports on the wizardpen section of launchpad, the links are in this thread, thank you

****** UPDATE 28th March 2010 - I have added this section for people wanting to set up a trust tablet (using the wizardpen driver) on lucid beta, it should be okay for the rc of lucid as well ? ******

First make sure these packages are installed -
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xutils libx11-dev libxext-dev x-dev build-essential xautomation xinput xserver-xorg-dev
    these steps are also mentioned in the wizardpen wiki wizardpen wiki

Next run the following in terminal -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bzr
    then this -
    Code:
    bzr branch lp:wizardpen
    You may get a message about letting bzr know about your id etc, don't worry about it and let things run, you should then end up with a folder in your home directory named "wizardpen"

Next - cd to the wizardpen folder, open erminal and type -
    Code:
    cd /home/YOUR USER NAME/wizardpen
    Next run the following -
    Code:
    sudo ./autogen.sh
    you may get an error about autoconf not being found, so you if you open synaptic and look for "autoconf" and you should see that lucid is using a later version, all I did was to install one of the versions that comes up as obsolete, this seemed to work.

you may also get a message about "libtoolize" not being found, again open synaptic and look for "libtool" and install it.

then repeat the step above (remember you need to be in the wizardpen folder) -
    Code:
    sudo ./autogen.sh
    hopefully there won't be anymore issues.

Next run the following in terminal -
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    what should happen is a .deb package should be built in your home directory, it will match your systems architecture, eg - if you run 64bit it will build a 64bit.deb.

next run the .deb (which will be something like this - xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen_0.7.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) you can either double click it or run - sudo dpkg -i ../xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen_0.7.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb etc

this should be all you need to do, there is no need to edit xorg.comf or create fdi files, as from what I can gather lucid doesn't use hal anymore it's all udev rules etc now, I think (I'm not pretending to understand it)

I have my trust tablet working in lucid beta 1 and it's very smooth in operation, if I'm honest it seems to be working better than in karmic etc.

If you run into trouble I will try and help as much as I can, for other versions, eg - karmic you should probably follow the bits below this, as I originally wrote this how to for karmic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hello, this is my first how to, so if I get things wrong please feel free to give your input.

This how to is a result of my efforts to set up my Trust 6300 slimline graphics tablet on karmic koala, if you are running a different version of ubuntu then you should read through the info in the link below, as this will probably be more helpful.

This should work for the following tablets, with some tweaking.

Code:
    # Acecad Flair II GT-504
    #

DigiPro 5.5×4” Graphics Tablet
    # Digital Ink Pad (A4 format)
    # G-pen
    # Genius Wizardpen
    # Genius Mousepen
    # Genius
    # iBall
    # Manhattan
    # Pentagram
    # QWare
    # Trust TB-3100
    # Trust TB-5300
    # Trust TB-6300
    # UC-LOGIC
    # iBall Tablet PF8060
    i originally tried to use this how to -
    Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen
    and eventually I did use part of it for the installation of the " wizard pen " driver.

so to begin.

Part 1 - driver installation.

This is simple enough (even for me)

download the wizard pen driver, I'm using the alpha version which is mentioned on the page I have linked.
    ( I have attached the file so you don't have to go hunting)

Important ! - before following the steps below you need to install some things, so run the follwoing code in a terminal
    Code:
    to install the driver this is what I did, put the file in your home directory, or where ever you like (I tend to install everything from my home directory rather than the desktop)

then extract the archive (I normally right click and select extract here, I forget the command line way of doing it)

once extracted open a terminal and cd to the wizard pen file -
    Code:
    cd /home/your user name/wizardpen-0.7.0-alpha2
    and press enter.

now you need to run the following -
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --with-xorg-module-dir=/usr/lib/xorg/modules && make
    && make install
    and providing you don't have any issues (fingers crossed) you can check the installation by running the following -
    Code:
    ls /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wizardpen_drv.*
    you should get this if everything went okay -
    Code:
    /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wizardpen_drv.la
    /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wizardpen_drv.so
    if you did then the fun begins, now if you have read through the wiki entry I linked then you will be thinking oh s*&t (I did) but fear not it's actually quite simple because you don't need to mess with xorg at all, and I don't think you need to in karmic ?

Part 2 - setting up udev, if your device is usb.

plug your tablet in (if you haven't already)
    and run this in a terminal -
    Code:
    cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product
    the output should look something like this -
    Code:
    Tablet WP5540U
    UHCI Host Controller
    UHCI Host Controller
    UHCI Host Controller
    EHCI Host Controller
    here is mine for reference, as your's may be different -
    Code:
    A815
    KU990 
    USB2.0-CRW
    HS USB FlashDisk
    Basics Desktop  
    USB Trackball
    Tablet WP8060U - this is my trust 6300 slim line usb tablet
    EHCI Host Controller
    EHCI Host Controller
    OHCI Host Controller
    OHCI Host Controller
    now we need to add a udev rule - Please note that the SYSFS{product} is tablet specific so see the output from the above command ( this one - cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product)

now open a terminal (if you don't have one open) and run the following -
    Code:
    sudo bash
    and then this -
    Code:
    echo 'BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="event*", SYSFS{product}=="Tablet WP8060U", NAME="input/%k", SYMLINK+="tablet-event", MODE="0666"' >> /etc/udev/rules.d/010_local.rules
    Note ! the section in the above code that says - SYSFS{product}=="Tablet WP8060U" needs to match your tablet

now this -
    Code:
    exit
    Wait a second ! - because according to the wiki you should run the code below to restart udev, but running this will give you some messages about invoking scripts if you are using karmic.

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
    so instead of the code above, if you're using karmic try this -
    Code:
    service udev restart
    if this is wrong please feel free to let me know and I'll amend it.
    Note ! if - service udev restart, doesn't work then you could always resort to restarting your session.

now you will need to check to make sure the syslink has been created so run the following code -
    Code:
    ls -la /dev/tablet-event
    if you get a line of output then everything is okay, unless it says something really bad

Part 3 - calibration

now this step is where i had some interesting results, but feel free to have ago.

first cd to the calibrate folder in the driver file, so in terminal run the following -
    Code:
    cd /home/your user name/wizardpen-0.7.0-alpha2/calibrate
    then run -
    Code:
    make
    then -
    Code:
    sudo ./wizardpen-calibrate /dev/tablet-event
    now providing everything went okay you should now have some instructions to follow, so follow away, and save the last 12 lines of the output in a text file, you will need them.

this is where things got a little odd for me, because when a adjusted the fdi file (which we will create in a little while) with the dimensions that the calibrate tool gave i had great difficulty using my tablet because for some reason the dimensions weren't right, I ran the calibrate tool a number of times trying different corners and always the same result, so if you have trouble then maybe you should try the steps I will outline in a minute.

so if you get funky coordinates for your tablet and is the same as mine, that being a trust 6300 slim line usb tablet, then try this, which is taken from the wiki -

Tablet W8060U (UC-Logic):
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "WizardPen Tablet"
            Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
            Driver          "wizardpen"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/tablet-event"
            Option          "TopX"          "826"
            Option          "TopY"          "2626"
            Option          "BottomX"       "32747"
            Option          "BottomY"       "32762"
            Option          "MaxX"          "32747"
            Option          "MaxY"          "32762"
    EndSection
    copy and paste the above or just keep it handy some where, you will need the bits that say top x etc etc.

now on to the fdi file, which is where the wiki could do with updating, mainly because it doesn't mention and fdi file, so I'm going to use this thread for the creation of the fdi file (the fdi file in this thread is for a different tablet, but we will adjust it to work for the trust 6300 tablet, and it may well work for other tablets)-
    Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8506008
    PS - thanks to drpjkurian

right now (I'm going to do things a little differently) open gedit or your choice of text editor.

and copy and paste the following into it -
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
                <deviceinfo version="0.2">
                <device>
                    <!-- This MUST match with the name of your tablet obtained -->
                    <!-- in Step 2 specified previously                        -->
                    <match key="info.product" contains="NAME OF YOUR TABLET">
                    <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wizardpen</merge>
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.SendCoreEvents" type="string">true</merge>

<!-- Modify these configuration accordingly -->
                    <!-- See CONFIGURATION OPTIONS section for the full-set of -->
                    <!-- configurable options                                  -->
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopX" type="string">5619</merge>
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopY" type="string">6554</merge>
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomX" type="string">29405</merge>
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomY" type="string">29671</merge>
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxX" type="string">29405</merge>
                    <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxY" type="string">29671</merge>
                    </match>
                </device>
                </deviceinfo>
    Please note that where it says " the name of your tablet " in the above code you will need to put the name of your tablet, if you didn't make note of it you can run the following -
    Code:
    grep -i name /proc/bus/input/devices
    now once thats done you need to save the file and name it the following -
    Code:
    99-x11-wizardpen.fdi
    and right click on it and select copy

and then you will need to put this file in the right place, so this is how I did it, in a terminal run -
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    and enter your password, then you will need to navigate to the following folder in your file system -
    Code:
    /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
    once there right click and select paste, and this should put the file in the right place, and the reason you need to do gksudo nautilus is because you need to be root to make changes to the file system.

now with that done it's the moment of truth, reboot you system and keep your fingers crossed and if I have written this out right and not made any mistakes your trust 6300 tablet should work.

Some points to note, the fdi file may well work for other tablets, but you will need to change the tablet name to match yours, and the x,y and z coordinates, the other thing is that this fdi file doesn't give you pressure sensitivity, which if you're like me you will want, so what to do ?

well it's easy enough, you need to add some extra lines to the fdi file.
    you will have to find out what sort of pressure ranges your tablet has, the trust 6300 (the one i have) has 1024 ranges of pressure, so open the fdi file in your text editor, we are going to add some new lines -
    Code:
     <merge key="input.x11_options.topZ" type="string">6</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.bottomZ" type="string">1024</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.maxZ" type="string">1024</merge>
    these lines need to be put in the right place, so to make it easy, if you have the same tablet as me (did i mention it was the trust 6300 slimline tablet) here is my fdi file, which works like a charm for me, I should point out that you may well get this fdi file to work for other tablets if you tweak the x,y and z coordinates to match your tablets dimensions.
    my fdi file -
    Code:

<device>
            <!-- This MUST match with the name of your tablet -->
        <match key="info.product" contains="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U">
          <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.topZ" type="string">6</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.bottomZ" type="string">1024</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.maxZ" type="string">1024</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.TopX" type="string">1946</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.TopY" type="string">2861</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomX" type="string">32747</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomY" type="string">32762</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxX" type="string">32747</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxY" type="string">32762</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    you can see that the new lines have been added to the start of the file and relate to the z axis, which is basically the stylus.

the lines that have 1024 and 6 relate to the pressure, 1024 being the maximum and 6 being the minimum.

I have tweaked mine a little because i noticed that if i set the lower end too low, then i would activate the left click events, so you may want to adjust this, once edited copy the fdi file into the - /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ folder and just over write the old one, the reboot and you should have pressure sensitivity, at least in gimp.

one last thing to get the tablet to work in gimp (I'm not sure about other applications) you will need to adjust a few things in gimp.

so open gimp (if you use it) and go to input devices, --> edit --> preferences --> input devices, click on " configure extended input devices " and in the window that should pop up you should see the option that says device, and if go through this you should see your tablet, uc logic etc etc, now I have mine set like this -
    Code:
    Mode - screen
    X - 1
    Y - 2
    Pressure - 3
    the other options I have left alone.

you can add other things to the fdi file to do various things, there is a read me in the wizard pen archive.

I hope you find this how to useful

cheers.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by techno-mole; October 15th, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to set up a Trust graphics tablet on ubuntu karmic.

Hi Technomole

Thank you for sharing your expertise

With regards
    Dr Kurian

Beans

Smile Re: How to set up a Trust graphics tablet on ubuntu karmic.

Thanks so much for this easy to follow howto! Now my tablet is working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, i am completely new to the ubuntu OS (well not really that new), but i have only gotten as far as getting the internet to work and getting my work done and following very simple instructions on how to do things. I can't quite get my trust tablet tb-5300's pressure sensitivity to work. I have put done everything here and changed the pressure ranges to fit my tablet and it still doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

what does your fdi file look like ?

it may be that you need to change the lines of it about to get the pressure to work, also what app are you using it with ?

so far i have only managed to get mine to work the way it should with gimp, and adobe elements, through wine and through a virtual machine.

it does work with other apps, inkscape for example, but its use is limited a little, I havent really looked into getting it to work with other apps, other than those I mentioned as i dont use them.

post your fdi file and i will have a look and see if i can figure it out, also what is the exact make of your tablet ? and how does it show up on the system.

cheers
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is how my .fdi looks like. I am using a Trust TB-5300 UC logic tablet WP5540U. The programs i want to use the tablet with is GIMP and sai

Code:

<device>
    <!-- in Step 2 specified previously -->
    <match key="info.product" contains="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP5540U">

<!-- configurable options -->
    <merge key="input.x11_options.topZ" type="string">10</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.bottomZ" type="string">512</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.maxZ" type="string">512</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopX" type="string">2387</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopY" type="string">3582</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomX" type="string">30453</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomY" type="string">29450</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxX" type="string">30453</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxY" type="string">29450</merge>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock50 View Post
    This is how my .fdi looks like. I am using a Trust TB-5300 UC logic tablet WP5540U. The programs i want to use the tablet with is GIMP and sai

Code:

<device>
    <!-- in Step 2 specified previously -->

<!-- configurable options -->
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    i got rid of the chunk in the middle and added a line that i missed and it still doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

okay, ive had alook at the fdi file you posted, and to be honest i cant see anything wrong with it (im not an expert)

heres what yours should look like -
    Code:

<device>
            <!-- This MUST match with the name of your tablet -->
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    have you tried adjusting the lower end of the pressure setting ? - try reducing it from 10 down to 5 etc, i did tweak mine a little, its now on 6 i think.

the other thing you could try is adjusting the gimp settings, once you have adjusted the settings make sure you select save, and then again on the " save input device settings now " option.

have you bee restarting the system after making changes to the fdi file ? i did this a couple of times and found it wasnt working, but then i figured out that you have to restart to load the new changes.

i will have a look around to see what else it might be, but for now i cant really see any reason why it wouldnt work, at least for gimp, im not familiar with sai ?

have you had a look at this thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1337260 it might help.
    Last edited by techno-mole; January 2nd, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ive checked that thread and added a bit onto the end, i have also tweaked the parameters for the pressure several times and reseting in between but still no luck
    heres what it looks like now :
    <device>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.topZ" type="string">4</merge>
    <merge key="info.product" type="string">stylus</merge>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

I've got a couple of thoughts.

First you have a duplicate:
    Code:
    Try removing the second one. Also place your coordinates after the stylus and SendCoreEvents lines. Then see if it works after a reboot.

Then do we know all the tablets have 512 level of pressure? Simplify the .fdi too:
    Code:
    <device>
    <merge key="info.product" type="string">stylus</merge>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    And then see what the output of:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    and the Xorg.0.log in /var/log/ say about the coordinates/pressure level with just the WizrdPen driver. The Xorg.0.log will also point out errors.

Also if it says there are 512 of pressure (z axis) what if 0 is a level? Then 512 levels would be 0 to 511 correct? So maybe 511 or 1023 or 255 in the .fdi?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast