Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WGET Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WGET Problems

Okay I have no internet connection due to the fact I have to install bcmfwcutter. I have the file bcmfwcutter.deb and I have the wget that .deb wants. I have download and transferred both files to the laptop. What I need help with is installing the Bcmfwcutter.deb so that when it starts the wget to get the
    wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o
    file it gets it from the laptop so that it finishes the installation. I am sorry if I sound bossy but I have been dealing with this for a month with no end and I've been getting weird responses. thx
    Windows 7, mmmmmmmmmmmm. A Virus D'uh!
    :-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: WGET Problems

Wait so you need help installing the .deb file??
    and then have wget grab wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o? Is that a file??

Sorry Im just trying to clear things up a little bit. Im slightly confused by the way you described your objective.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I am trying to install the .deb and than have wget get the file that is on the computer instead of trying to get it off the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To install the .deb file :
    Code:
    dpkg -i bcmfwcutter.deb
    As for using wget to grab a file thats is already on your machine.... I am still looking into. Why exactley do you need wget to grab a file you already have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When I try to install the .deb it does the wget and tries to download wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o and since I don't have the internet connection it can't download wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o which is why I had to download it from another computer and transfered it to the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFee View Post
    When I try to install the .deb it does the wget and tries to download wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o and since I don't have the internet connection it can't download wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o which is why I had to download it from another computer and transfered it to the computer.
    Oh okay. I see. So the installation process of the .deb file automatically uses wget to grab the file??

hmmmmm.

So if I understand correctly. Your problem then would be that wget is trying to access a web page storing the file that you obviously don't have access to.

Here is what I would try (I am sure there is a much easier way to do this but this is my stab at it.)

- Get back to another computer and download the monkeyHTTP Daemon. It lets you host web pages on your computer. (really neat actually)

- Install and configure monkeyHTTP on your computer. Set the default port at 80 which is the basic port for HTTP connections (Documentation on how to do that is included with the program)

- Then add the file wl_apsta-3.1.30.20.0.o on that web page. Same name and same path.

- Since wget will still try to grab the file with
    Code:
    wget http://www.somesite.com/path/to/file
    add the name of the website to your hosts file which is in /etc/

So basically what you are doing is setting up a mock webpage to trick wget into grabbing the file off your computer rather than grabbing it off the internet.

I hope that made sense. let me know if you have questions or need me to make things more clear.

That is probably not the simplest solution. But it is what I would try.

- Since your

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I install monkey Http, but now I am kind of confused on how to use it. I believe I set the port to 80, but I don't know what the url is for the site, and I am not sure where to put the file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm sure you've thought of this, but as no one has mentioned it, I will.

Can you make a temporary wired connection with an ethernet cable, simply to let the deb file do its wget thing? If the network you use can only be accessed wirelessly, is there any friend, relative or acquaintance who could let you use their internet connection?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You can also install that monkeyHTTP on the computer you're trying to install that .dep and add 127.0.0.1 to have same name as the site that wget is trying to access.
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unfortunately I can't the laptop has no network interface, except for PCMI card which is the wireless card that I am trying to get working. I've done it with older versions of xubuntu, where the .deb would ask if I had the file on the computer. However, I think I connect it through the cable modem with a USB cable Which I think I am going to have to do.
    Last edited by DeltaFee; December 18th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast