Thread: Cheap Ubuntu Compatible Wireless all-in-one Printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cheap Ubuntu Compatible Wireless all-in-one Printer

I currently have a Dell v305w wireless inkjet printer. After many anguishing hours of research, I dispairedly admitted the truth behind the opensource printing site stating that this printer is simply not compatible with open source operating systems and consequently a decorative paperweight. My question is if anybody knows of a cheap ubuntu compatible wireless all-in-one printer. I have a very small student budget, but printing and scanning are both necessary tools for my work. This is the last remaining obstacle to help me go completely Ubuntu Linux. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Cheap Ubuntu Compatible Wireless all-in-one Printer

I have had a lot of luck using Brother printers with Ubuntu. They have linux drivers available for almost all of their printers (most of them available through the Ubuntu repos) and their network printers tend to be significantly less expensive than printers from HP. I'm not sure how fast their inkjets go through consumables, but you can get a network multi-function inkjet printer for less than $130.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

A couple of the lower end HP printers here at work are Linux friendly. Most of the time Linux just connects to my networked printer. No hassle involved. With the canon's though I have to make a trip over to Open Printing and get the ppa file. I find most Dell stuff that isn't brand new aren't very linux friendly.

Good luck on scanners... never have had a need to use one. 0.o
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 for Brother although I can only vouch for network (wired to network) versions, though I guess if you plug into your router you have wireless!
    No longer participating......

Beans

The HP OfficeJet J4680 works. I've used one at work, and it was simple to set up. It's problematic under Windows, but my Ubuntu laptop prints and scans without problems. The J4680 has built-in wifi, and can connect to an access point wirelessly if that's what you need. The other printers I've used are wired, using ethernet, to wireless routers, and they work fine, including several HP and Brother models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

And cheapness? We forgot the cheapness now didn't we? The Dell was unbeatable price wise. Because I'm a miserly cheap student type who doesn't like to spend anything. But make no mistakes... I love Christmas, and the people here at Ubuntu Forums too, but anything else... Bah Humbug says I!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Does it need to be wireless? That's the expensive part. Have you tried calling Dell and asking?
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans

Yeah, if you want cheap you need to consider wired, even if you have to run a fairly long ethernet cable. HP has some fairly cheap all-in-ones that don't have built-in wifi, but connect to a router via ethernet just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kodak look cheap, but aren't. I have been looking at an ESP 3250. Kodak don't support linux, period. You can get it to work only to find out that around 3% of the ink is used turning the printer on.

Avoid the 'cheap' Kodak trap.
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans

Talking Re: Cheap Ubuntu Compatible Wireless all-in-one Printer

I am using a HP-Deskjet F2210 USB printer with no problem using Lucid Lynx.