Thread: USB hard drive not detected, data recovery possible?

Beans

USB hard drive not detected, data recovery possible?

I assume that there is nothing to do and that my hd is dead, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any interesting information.

I have an external usb hd normally pluged into my router running linux, but that I use to perform backups for my work computers running 9.10. There was a power failure recently and the hd is not detected anymore, not by my router, not by my 9.10 notebook. When I plug it it, it does not seem to be detected. Neither, dmesg, nor df indicate that it is detected. I also tested/tried 2 different usb cables. Both work.

Any hints for data recovery? I looked at testdisk, but it does not detect the usb hd.

Beans

Re: USB hard drive not detected, data recovery possible?

What model Usb drive? The reason I ask is if its inside an enclosure the last one I took apart was a SATA drive plugged into a USB interface connection.Maybe that is what took the power shot and not the drive itself....

Beans

Yups, it's a SATA. I suspect you might be right. The hd spins, but it is not detected. It might be the usb connection that died...

It is an iomega on the outside. In the past, I tried to see what my router thought it was:

$ cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/0
    Host scsi0: usb-storage
    Vendor: JMicron
    Product: USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge
    Serial Number: 92306FFFFFFF
    Protocol: Transparent SCSI
    Transport: Bulk
    GUID: 059b0475000092306fffffff
    Attached: Yes
    Port: 2
    Bus: 01:03.2-2

In any case, it is under warrantee, and IOmega will send me a replacement. When I get it, I'll open up my old one and see if I can recuperate the hd/data by replacing the usb connection. I don't like using "problem" hds, but it could become my 2nd backup.

Beans

If you have another computer(desktop) that has a SATA connector you should be able to purchase the proper cables to connect and see if it will recognize the drive and recover your data that way....

Beans

If the drive is recognized and you get it working that way you could always use it again with something like this...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&Sku=M501-1031

Beans

Thanks for the link, I was already starting to look at connectors. I might get one that support different types of hds to reuse both my old laptop/desktop drives.