Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    15

    Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    I have a broadcom 4328 v3 wireless card on my macbook and I was able to activated it under the Hardware Manager as a proprietary driver. But I don't see the wireless connection option under the network connection icon. I see VPN connections and a WIRED but not wireless.

    I am doing dual boot OS X and Ubuntu 9.10.

    Any ideas? Thanks guys

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Beans
    2,930
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    do you have a wireless connection at all? Post me the result of:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig
    If you see some wireless entry there, you might want to try wicd instead of networkmanager.
    Just give me the result of that iwconfig first.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    5
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    Try unloading the module (sudo modprobe -r wl) then reload the module (sudo modprobe wl). You should now connect, however it may freeze... the broadcom module is a PITA and I had consistent, yet random system lock ups.

    After days of frustration, and the realization that the bcmwl-source package has been out of date for months, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The instructions below will compile the most current version of the bcmwl driver and replace the currently supplied version.

    This method has the advantage that in the event there is a update, your newer file will simply be replaced during the upgrade. Keep in mind however that in the event there is a kernel update you will have to repeat the process as the update will overwrite your custom wl.ko.

    Also keep in mind that since this a closed source binary "blob" YMMV.

    1) Download the driver from broadcom ( )

    2) Make a directory and extract the files in the archive
    Code:
    mkdir bcmwl 
    tar xvf 'hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5.10.91.9.3.tar (1).gz' -C bcmwl
    3) Compile the source:

    3a) You will need to install the build-essential and kernel headers packages
    3b) To Compile the driver
    Code:
    cd bcmwl
    make clean
    make
    4) replace the current driver file with the one that you just compiled.
    Code:
    sudo mv ./wl.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/dkms/wl.ko
    Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by techie99; December 17th, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    3

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    I have a Broadcom 4328 in my iMac which has given me problems too.

    In the end installing this driver worked for me:

    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

    I know on that page it doesn't list the 4328 explicitly, but the driver works. Since I'm using it right now to connect.

    Hope it helps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    15

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by techie99 View Post
    Try unloading the module (sudo modprobe -r wl) then reload the module (sudo modprobe wl). You should now connect, however it may freeze... the broadcom module is a PITA and I had consistent, yet random system lock ups.

    After days of frustration, and the realization that the bcmwl-source package has been out of date for months, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The instructions below will compile the most current version of the bcmwl driver and replace the currently supplied version.

    This method has the advantage that in the event there is a update, your newer file will simply be replaced during the upgrade. Keep in mind however that in the event there is a kernel update you will have to repeat the process as the update will overwrite your custom wl.ko.

    Also keep in mind that since this a closed source binary "blob" YMMV.

    1) Download the driver from broadcom ( )

    2) Make a directory and extract the files in the archive
    Code:
    mkdir bcmwl 
    tar xvf 'hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5.10.91.9.3.tar (1).gz' -C bcmwl
    3) Compile the source:

    3a) You will need to install the build-essential and kernel headers packages
    3b) To Compile the driver
    Code:
    cd bcmwl
    make clean
    make
    4) replace the current driver file with the one that you just compiled.
    Code:
    sudo mv ./wl.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/dkms/wl.ko
    Good Luck!!!
    When I try to do step 3a, it gives me an error of "Couldn't find package kernel-header-uname -r"....

    i am new to ubuntu so not sure what to do.... thanks for your help

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    15

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by jb1299 View Post
    I have a Broadcom 4328 in my iMac which has given me problems too.

    In the end installing this driver worked for me:

    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

    I know on that page it doesn't list the 4328 explicitly, but the driver works. Since I'm using it right now to connect.

    Hope it helps.
    The driver is the same as what techi99 told me to download. I installed the one in the Proprietary List and it doesn't list the 4328 either. Neither works for me though...not sure why

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    15

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxopjemac View Post
    do you have a wireless connection at all? Post me the result of:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig
    If you see some wireless entry there, you might want to try wicd instead of networkmanager.
    Just give me the result of that iwconfig first.

    I managed to get it to display the wireless card now with the code I found in Ubuntu Docs and the code I used;

    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

    However, I couldn't get it to connect to my network at home, it kept on TRYING TO CONNECT but could not established. I got it to work on my desktop but not the MAC....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    3

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    Have you got WPA security on your network?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    15

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    Quote Originally Posted by jb1299 View Post
    Have you got WPA security on your network?

    Yeah I do have WPA 2 Personal Security On ... Ubuntu does not work with WPA 2?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    5
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Broadcom 4328 v3 issue

    `uname -r` needs to be the "tick" mark (the same key as "~")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •