Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which version of Ubuntu for low RAM?

Beans

Smile Re: Which version of Ubuntu for low RAM?

I also didn't like 8.04 so much. Instead Xubuntu 9.10 feels much faster and installed even a machine that I didn't get 8.04 to work. I really recommend Xubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Which version of Ubuntu for low RAM?

Have you considered making an altered LiveCD based off of an Ubuntu LiveCD? Just take out some programs you don't want, and put in some programs/settings you want. If you don't use OpenOffice, for example, then just remove that for space. That should free up plenty.

Or, if the comp has a DVD drive, just add a program or programs like mentioned above, and then just burn the resulting larger ISO file to a DVD instead of CD.

1GB of memory is plenty for anything I can think of, unless you are doing video editing or graphics work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know its not Ubuntu but you might try DSL (Damn Small Linux)
    DSL runs great on P.O.S. Machines. And its a pretty neat little distro.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Gizenshya View Post
    Have you considered making an altered LiveCD based off of an Ubuntu LiveCD? Just take out some programs you don't want, and put in some programs/settings you want. If you don't use OpenOffice, for example, then just remove that for space. That should free up plenty.

Or, if the comp has a DVD drive, just add a program or programs like mentioned above, and then just burn the resulting larger ISO file to a DVD instead of CD.

1GB of memory is plenty for anything I can think of, unless you are doing video editing or graphics work.

Actually, yeah. I was wondering how to rig up something like that. What programs are the best/easiest for that sort of thing.

One thing I have noticed, is that Live DVD's seem to run slightly smoother than Live CD's. So I am using that now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12