Thread: How-To Install Sunbird 0.8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How-To Install Sunbird 0.8

1. To start off we need to get the latest .tar.gz file from the official Sunbird site here.
    2. Now we need extract the files into the /opt directory on your computer, so cut and paste the .tar.gz file into your home folder if it isn't there already and open a terminal to do the following.
      Code:
      sudo tar zxvf sunbird-0.8.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz -C /opt/
    3. Sunbird requires some dependencies, so we'll need to install these before we continue.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
    4. The next thing to do is set the files permissions so we can launch Sunbird from /opt directory.
      Code:
      sudo chown -R root:root /opt/sunbird/
      Code:
      sudo chmod -R 755 /opt/sunbird/
    5. You should now be able to launch Sunbird with this command.
      Code:
      /opt/sunbird/sunbird
    6. If you get an error message like this one

then type the following command and it should fix it.
      Code:
      sudo touch /opt/sunbird/extensions/talkback@mozilla.org/chrome.manifest
    7. I'm assuming many of you, like me, would prefer Sunbird to be installed in the 'Applications' menu, rather than have launch it through a terminal. This is easy to achieve.

1. Right click on the 'Applications' menu (on the top left of the screen) and select 'Edit Menus'
      2. Select the category you would like to place the Sunbird launcher and click 'New Item' (I'm going to place the Sunbird launcher in my office category)

3. Now in the new window that pops-up, set each part to the following

Type: Application
        Name: Sunbird
        Command: /opt/sunbird/sunbird
        Comment: Mozilla Sunbird Cross-Platform Calendar Application

Now to change the icon right click and select 'Save Link As' here.(Icon kindly provided by Benjamin Vincent Gernier).

Save/move this picture to a place you are happy to leave it because if you move/delete it at a later date your menu item won't have an icon.
        When you've saved/moved 'sunbird.png' somewhere, click on the "spring" icon and select 'Browse' in the window that opens, find your icon and click 'Open' and then 'OK'.

Finally close the menu editor and Sunbird should now be under your chosen category.

Last edited by gauntface; September 3rd, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

Beans

Re: How-To Install Sunbird 0.8

Brilliance! Much appreciated.

Beans

Re: How-To Install Sunbird 0.8

Works great with the new beta version
    I was trying to install Sunbird from "Ubuntu Software Center", then by terminal, then by synaptics
    anyway, this solved my problem. Thanks so much!!!!