Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Ubuntu users!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Calling all Ubuntu users!

Hi there, If you've got a minute I'd like some help with a small project I am working on.

I've started writing a small (50 or so pages) manual entitled "The Beginners Guide to Ubuntu" - similar to the likes of the Ubuntu Bible by Olly Connelly. My plan is to make is easy to read and follow, informative but simple at the same time, and most importantly I am going to attempt to make it version independent so that it isn't completely redundant after six months. I will release a new revision each time a new version of Ubuntu comes out, but I'd like to keep the changes to a minimum. I'm providing a brief history of Ubuntu and Linux as well. Of course I will include all the basics, such as installation, around the desktop, how to use Software Center and some basic command line stuff.
    I would like to ask you this question:

Think back to when you first installed Ubuntu and began using it. What are some things that you would like to see in a manual of this kind that would have helped you back then?

Post your replies in this thread, or feel free to PM them to me.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by humphreybc; December 14th, 2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Calling all Ubuntu users!

I switched to Ubuntu after several years of running Fedora Core, so I wasn't new to GNU/Linux.

I would have liked to have an option to boot to the command line as I was used to setting up my gui with the ~/.xinitrc file. It took me some time to ever get fluxbox going.
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fancypiper View Post
    I switched to Ubuntu after several years of running Fedora Core, so I wasn't new to GNU/Linux.

I would have liked to have an option to boot to the command line as I was used to setting up my gui with the ~/.xinitrc file. It took me some time to ever get fluxbox going.
    So like, Recovery Console instructions using the LiveCD?

I suppose I could include a "Troubleshooting" section at the end of the manual, with common problems.
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans
    Hidden!

One of the main things with first trying Linux is the packages. There is so many and not that organized for people coming from Windows. It can be confusing using Synaptic, apt-get, etc. The Add/Remove applications is set up much better and is easier to use I think. Maybe some more help/focus on that to make it less confusing for new users?
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by User3k View Post
    One of the main things with first trying Linux is the packages. There is so many and not that organized for people coming from Windows. It can be confusing using Synaptic, apt-get, etc. The Add/Remove applications is set up much better and is easier to use I think. Maybe some more help/focus on that to make it less confusing for new users?
    Yeah I agree with you - a lot of Ubuntu guides don't cover the package system in depth enough. This is one of the big changes from Windows, so it's important users understand it well.

I've already got a section on Packages, and then also a whole chapter dedicated to installing/removing programs, Synaptic and Software sources.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybc View Post
    So like, Recovery Console instructions using the LiveCD?
    Well, I would like another choice of booting to the command line (used to be run level 3) rather than using the graphical login. Also, I had rather see the boot messages rather than a progress bar or nothing much else displayed upon boot up.

That's just some unnecessary niggly things that used to be shown are now hidden with some research necessary in order to do things the "old" way, probably unnecessary for a newbie.
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i had some problems getting wireless to work. a few pointers would be nice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by soni1770 View Post
    i had some problems getting wireless to work. a few pointers would be nice
    Same here. Having to trawl through NDIS isn't cool for a first time user, especially for a huu'maan. If Ubuntu wants to aim at newbies, they need to sort this stuff out.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Calling all Ubuntu users!

Yeah, wireless can be a pain.

And for some reason I'm still in the habit of using sysv-rc-conf to manage my daemons...

Also a big chapter on "so you were apt-getting stuff you have no clue about and now your GNOME / KDE broke".

And some self-hypnosis exercises would be nice. "So what if Firefox ran faster on Windows, that doesn't bother me one bit. Vuze isn't so bad, really - I don't miss μTorrent one bit. Learn to forget the video card performance you were getting on Windows. I don't need to test my Web design work in Internet Explorer - no one uses it. Ten different scripting languages installed by default - who cares. Etc, etc, etc."
    Last edited by Alex Libman; December 14th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A clear guide to networking in Ubuntu would be good. Including networking with Windows computers, and also file sharing with Windows clients. I'm forever seeing posts in these forums by people needing help with that.

Under what license are you planning to publish your book? Reading this might be helpful.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast