Thread: HP beeps at me when shutting down!

Beans
    Hidden!

HP beeps at me when shutting down!

Hello all,

I did a dual installation (XP and Ubuntu 9.10) on a HP desktop. Ubuntu got the NVidia drivers right away! Windows, well, a few phone calls to tech support and even that didn't help. (Ubuntu, where was I all these years?!)

When I shut down in Ubuntu, sometimes my computer gives off a couple beeps (the one from the mother board) and rarely, it doesn't. I undrstand there is a way to turn it off from the bios, but I want to make sure everything is working absolutely dandy (I'm planning on using this computer for heavy and imporant work).

Any suggestions??

Thanks all!

Beans

Re: HP beeps at me when shutting down!

I get this occasionally too. I have an HP dv9543cl laptop. I'm curious what the beeping means.

In the meantime, I've found a page telling how to completely disable the system beeping in Ubuntu, which I would assume would also stop it from beeping during shutdown: http://strabes.wordpress.com/2006/10...eep-in-ubuntu/.

EDIT: Never mind about the above paragraph. Apparently the change in the link I gave is done by default in Ubuntu 9.10, so I guess it doesn't seem to prevent the beeping on shutdown occasionally.
    Last edited by Agent ME; December 14th, 2009 at 06:46 AM.