Thread: HUGE Java problem!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

HUGE Java problem!

I converted mom's computer to Ubuntu (9.10) for Christmas, and everything was fine... I could even play on her Facebook applications/games without a problem. ...Until I wanted to play Runescape. The advertisements and 'Play Runescape' are Java-based, I'm presuming. When I even get ON the page for Runescape, my screen goes black, then the 'Ubuntu' loading screen (brown/black with white lights and logo in the middle) appears and will never go away. It switches between this, and a black screen, and cannot be fixed unless I do a hard shut down (at the button). I've taken Firefox and java off multiple times and re-installed them, to no avail. PS: I use 9.10 as well and both Flash and Java work fine on mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HUGE Java problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvenium View Post
    I converted mom's computer to Ubuntu (9.10) for Christmas, and everything was fine... I could even play on her Facebook applications/games without a problem. ...Until I wanted to play Runescape. The advertisements and 'Play Runescape' are Java-based, I'm presuming. When I even get ON the page for Runescape, my screen goes black, then the 'Ubuntu' loading screen (brown/black with white lights and logo in the middle) appears and will never go away. It switches between this, and a black screen, and cannot be fixed unless I do a hard shut down (at the button). I've taken Firefox and java off multiple times and re-installed them, to no avail. PS: I use 9.10 as well and both Flash and Java work fine on mine.
    Possibly a video driver issue.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Possibly a video driver issue.
    What would I have to do to fix it? She used to be able to play the game in HD, but not the few seconds that it worked tonight. It said there was a problem or something. I also did a video test, but it was failed.
    Last edited by Silvenium; December 14th, 2009 at 06:59 AM.

Beans

There a 3 java plugins available for firefox in recent ubuntu releases. Two are associated with sun-java and an additional one is associated with openjdk. The first step is probably to figure out which one firefox is using. (It's possible to install more than one to firefox but it will only use one at a time.)

If you choose Tools -> Add-ons and go to plugins, which java-related plugins do you see? (If you happen to see something like npjp2.so it is the newer plugin from Sun.)
    I would suggest that you uninstall all but one plugin from firefox.

For playing runescape I think (sigh) that the sun plugins are still preferred. As I mentioned above the newer one has libnpjp2.so for the filename, and is probably being used for a fresh install of sun-java6-plugin. libjavaplugin_oji.so is the name of the older plugin from sun.

Regards,

-james.