Thread: Synaptic won't let me force version

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Synaptic won't let me force version

I followed the instructions available (in various places) to force a package version (Xvidcap ... I want the one I downloaded from Sourceforge, not the one in the repo, which won't record audio). But it won't do it. I select "Force version" from the "Package" menu in Synaptic, choose the version I want, and click "Force". The program works on something - but nothing happens. No changes are available to apply ... is there a manual way to do this? Update Manager keeps pestering me ...
    Last edited by jovean; December 15th, 2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Synaptic won't let me force version

It sounds to me like you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place....

If you want to isntall something from a different source, then you need to remove it from your system, before installing the other version.

It's highly not recommended to install from a different source though.

Your other option is to simply file a bug about it in launchpad.net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Wink Re: Synaptic won't let me force version

Quote Originally Posted by jovean View Post
    I followed the instructions available (in various places) to force a package version (Xvidcap ... I want the one I downloaded from Sourceforge, not the one in the repo, which won't record audio). But it won't do it. I select "Force version" from the "Package" menu in Synaptic, choose the version I want, and click "Force". The program works on something - but nothing happens. No changes are available to apply ... is there a manual way to do this? Update Manager keeps pestering me ...
    As mtecknology states, uninstall previous version. Then, if it's a deb package, you can install using dpkg or gdebi gui.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I need the non-repo version because the version of Xvidcap in the repository doesn't support audio recording by default whereas the one on sourceforge does. Also, I did uninstall the repository version first, then install using gdebi ...

And not to be thankless and annoying, but my question wasn't "should I be doing this?", but "how can I do this?" The real problem is not that I can't install the non-repo version, but that I can't convince Synaptic/Update Manager that I REALLY do not want the repository version.
    Last edited by jovean; December 14th, 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Arrow Re: Synaptic won't let me force version

If I understand what you're saying then you need to lock the current version so synaptic doesn't override??? Is that correct because that's not what one would infer from your initial question?

Select the package in right pane of synaptic and go to the "Package" menu. Select "Lock Version" - put a check in box - and synaptic will ignore updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you lidex - I was confused about terminology and didn't even know it. MarkingSolved.