Thread: Boot from CDROM to HD root partition???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Boot from CDROM to HD root partition???

I had a dual boot setup on my laptop. When I installed Windows 7, I had to wipe out my boot manager (Easy BCD) and let Windows create a system partition as well as the Windows partition. The Linux partitions are untouched, but now I can't choose to boot to Ubuntu.

Is there a way to create a bootable CDROM that will give me the option to boot from various partitions on my laptop's HD?

Thanks!!!

Donald

Beans

Re: Boot from CDROM to HD root partition???

You can reinstall grub from your ubuntu cd.Because you didn´t tell witch version you are running read both links

1. this if you use version prior then karmic

2.this if you are using Karmic
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Boot from CDROM to HD root partition???

I probably should have mentioned that I am trying to avoid using GRUB as my boot loader. I had plenty of issues upgrading Vista to 7 and it may have been because of the bootloader I was using. Some claim that using a 3rd party bootloader can cause problems with Windows Update.

I do have GRUB installed on the Linux root partition, which is not the boot partition. My previous boot manager pointed to that partition to start GRUB and load Linux.

I am running Jaunty, thinking of installing Karmic soon.

I wish this laptop had the same boot options that my desktop PC has. I can boot to any drive I want to on it.

Don