Thread: SAMBA PDC Authentication (9.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question SAMBA PDC Authentication (9.10)

Dear all,

This is my first post to the forum and thanks for the great support you have provided me in many topics!

I would like to know how to configure my system (Ubuntu 9.10) to authenticate to a SAMBA PDC.

I have found and followed this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5409), but it does not seem to work in 9.10.

The machine can join the domain, a machine account is created on server but no domain accounts can login in either ssh, terminal or gdm.
    Even local accounts cannot login! I have to boot into recovery mode and restore the modified files (listed in the attached post)

I beleive that there might be something wrong/changed in the configuration of the files located /etc/pam.d/ for 9.10 due to the fact that the attached post is a bit old.
    Please note that Windows machines can join the domain and login successfully.(XP/2003)

Thanks for your time.

Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SAMBA PDC Authentication (9.10)

I've managed to figure it out. Tested it on two computers and it works!

However i cannot seem to log on when there is no network (winbind cache time = 10 from smb.conf) not working?

If anyone is interested let me know and i'll post all config files.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: SAMBA PDC Authentication (9.10)

I believe I have the same problem you did. I am trying to make my karmic box behave as a member server in a samba (NT) domain. I have joined the domain, wbinfo and smbtree work, but other machines in the domain cannot access anything on my new karmic system. I can browse other machines. I too believe it is a pam problem. What was your fix??