Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I buy a laptop with Windows, can I remove it and get a refund?

Beans

If I buy a laptop with Windows, can I remove it and get a refund?

I am thinking about getting a new laptop, and if I choose not to agree to the license agreement, can I ask the hardware manufacturer for a refund?
    The world only has as much power over you as you let it have. -camper365
    Dell Latitude D630 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvidia Quadro 135M 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, Ubuntu Studio Precise
    Linux user #489864 Ubuntu user #27303

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: If I buy a laptop with Windows, can I remove it and get a refund?

Excellent question!!! That is a really good one. By all means I would try that. How far you want to take this would depend on how far you can stretch the law. Maybe talk to an ombudsman and see what rights you have; can they refuse to sell you the laptop without Windows if you don't accept the license agreement? Might also be an idea to list some reasons why you don't accept the agreement other than "I don't want to pay for something I am not going to use," although, that seems fair enough to me.

Good luck! I'm curious ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 7th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Beans

id say 99% of the time the manufacturer will say no refund for windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not easily.

In theory, yes, if you reject the end-user license agreement and never actually use Windows, then the OEM (Dell, HP, whatever) has to refund you the license fee.

In practice, this is very involved and really not worth it. First they'll deflect and say it's Microsoft's job to give you a refund. Then Microsoft will deflect and say it's the OEM's job. You'll have to do a lot of calling and writing back and forth and submit documentation and proof.

Is that all worth... $35 or whatever they'll refund you? It's up to you.

If you don't want Windows, I would suggest getting a laptop with Linux preinstalled on it.

Beans

1) Only $ 35 or so ? That's a lot when you must work for every $ ...
    2) Buying a PC/laptop without OS or with Ubuntu/Linux is possible, but there not many vendors offering that option, only for a limited number of PC's/laptops and mostly not for the lowest price.

The real problem is, that there is insufficiently legal support (in most countries) to purchase a PC/laptop without "obliged" OEM Windows or with a "quick and easy" FULL Windows REFUND .
    (Has nothing to do with Windows bashing...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Not easily.

In theory, yes, if you reject the end-user license agreement and never actually use Windows, then the OEM (Dell, HP, whatever) has to refund you the license fee.

In practice, this is very involved and really not worth it. First they'll deflect and say it's Microsoft's job to give you a refund. Then Microsoft will deflect and say it's the OEM's job. You'll have to do a lot of calling and writing back and forth and submit documentation and proof.

Is that all worth... $35 or whatever they'll refund you? It's up to you.

If you don't want Windows, I would suggest getting a laptop with Linux preinstalled on it.
    I'm thinking that following through with it might be good to show that there are Linux users -- and not just a handful. As might lobbying the various governments to mandate a streamlined policy and procedure where a refund must be granted.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good for you. Go for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Legally if you're in the US, due to an anti-trust suit, the OEM is required to refund you the cost of Windows. Problem is dealing the with the bureaucracy of a lot of OEMs, and being shuffled through India, and getting a rep that can't do anything that's not on their little script in front of them.

If it's possible you might have better luck doing this in brick and mortar shop, where you can deal with somebody face to face. When I worked in a computer shop, I'd pop open boxes and remove windows from computers for customers that requested it. Then we'd return the COA to microsoft.

Amazon, for a little while was doing it, if you emailed them. But I've since heard they've stopped making it as easy. It was typically only $35 for the cost of XP.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why not just buy one with Ubuntu pre-installed?

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

I agree that the easiest route is to just buy one without an OS. I doubt you'd find an OEM or a big box store that would sell you one, but a mom and pop shop might.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast