Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI Radeon Driver not Installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI Radeon Driver not Installing

ATI no longer makes a driver for your card. Sorry. The good news is that there is an open-source driver that is currently in operation on your computer. It's not the best, but it works and it is still being improved on.

I would suggest buying an Nvidia graphics card, as they are less hasty about obsoleting older cards on Linux. If you've never bought a graphics card before, you will want to do some research about whether your computer uses AGP or PCI-E for connecting graphics cards - all current cards use PCI-E but you can often still find older Nvidia 6000 and 7000 series cards in AGP.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Queue29 View Post
    No, they have declared Linux support irrelevant. The card is still supported under the legacy ATi driver for Windows.
    They don't offer Windows 7 support for these cards either.

I think it is just lousy driver support all around, not a specifically anti-linux thing. But because the pace of linux development is so much faster than windows development, we notice it more acutely.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok thanks everyone for helping me out. Just to try, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer and it seemed to work fine but I was not able to get crossover to work properly. Anyways Im probably gona end up getting a new system anyways as my system is getting a little old. So thanks again to everyone that helped me out.

Beans
    Distro

You are welcome. Sorry we couldn't give you a better result.

Merry Christmas
    ... from my Hamilton to yours ...
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12