Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon Driver not Installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question ATI Radeon Driver not Installing

Hello, I am a first time user for ubuntu and have got ubuntu 9.10 running fine except the video driver. I know it is my video driver that is the problem because when ever I do any multimedia, it lags and plays the media extremely choppy. I get this problem mostly while im on the Internet looking up a youtube video or just a flash document or even when minimizing a window.

I am using the ATI Radeon X1650 as my video card. The driver I downloaded was: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...9&lang=English

After the download, I ran the ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run by simply double clicking it and run as terminal. The installer seems to start, but after about 30 seconds, the terminal window closes and nothing else happens. I have tried changing the permissions of the file and sill I get the same problem.

I tried the following command(s):
    sudo chmod +x ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    After that, I get the following output:
    Created directory fglrx-install.YdCXfe
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.593............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.31-16-generic; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.YdCXfe
    If anyone could help me, please and thanks.

Regards,

Farhan Ahmad
    Last edited by farhan91; December 12th, 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI Radeon Driver not Installing

There is an issue with the proprietary drivers for older ATI graphics cards not supporting the newest version of XOrg which has been in use since Jaunty. The upshot is that if you have one of those cards you can't use a proprietary driver with either Jaunty or Karmic because that driver won't work with the version of XOrg you have. You can install Hardy (long term service release) and have full 3-D acceleration with the proprietary driver, or stick with Karmic and use the open source driver without full graphics acceleration via the open source driver.

Your card may be one of those so afflicted as the message looks like it is complaining about versions. You need to check the ATI site to see what the exact situation is with your card. The cards with this problem are not all that old. Bascially ATI got behind in updating its drivers and got caught out by the update to XOrg. In order to catch up they then decided to abandon driver support for all but their newest cards. Back when Jaunty came in people with almost brand new equipment were being told their hardware was no longer supported It sucks I know.

I had this problem. I bought a new card.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

have you tried the drivers available in system-admin-hardware drivers?
    Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MelDJ View Post
    have you tried the drivers available in system-admin-hardware drivers?
    How do I do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

in the menu bar on the top left of the screen, click on system, then administration. then click hardware drivers and see whether there are drivers available there
    Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MelDJ View Post
    in the menu bar on the top left of the screen, click on system, then administration. then click hardware drivers and see whether there are drivers available there
    I don't see anything there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So can anyone help me please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok so can anyone help me. Bumped!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As I told you earlier, your card is no longer supported by ATI and the proprietary Catalyst drivers will not work with the new version of XOrg used in Jaunty and Karmic. ATI have no plans to fix this problem. Look here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.9&lan g=English

In particular read this bit

"The Linux ATI Catalyst™ driver will only be supported in Linux distributions prior to February 2009 for the legacy products listed above."

Your card is one of the listed ones. February 2009 is when the new version of XOrg started appearing in distributions.

The news is not good. You've got three options

1. Use the open driver. You won't get 3-D accelleration and flashy graphics but everything will be stable and will work.
    2. Downgrade your ubuntu to Hardy. The proprietary driver will then work and you'll get full 3-D accelleration. But you won't be using the latest version of ubuntu.
    3. Buy a new graphics card.

Don't go blaming ubuntu for this by the way. You'd have the same problem using any other linux distro as they are all switching to the new version of XOrg. The problem is crappy driver support on the part of the manufacturer of your video card. I'm afraid they've declared you obsolete.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post
    Don't go blaming ubuntu for this by the way. You'd have the same problem using any other linux distro as they are all switching to the new version of XOrg. The problem is crappy driver support on the part of the manufacturer of your video card. I'm afraid they've declared you obsolete.

No, they have declared Linux support irrelevant. The card is still supported under the legacy ATi driver for Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast