Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing an Instant Messenger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing an Instant Messenger

Sigh. Trying very hard to install empathy or pidgin or any other instant messenger client, and nothing works. I cannot connect.

At best I get a network error when I try to connect with my yahoo id in empathy. I know what my id and password are. I can log on to yahoo.ca with the id and password and I connect. But I don't know what the server is supposed to be under the advanced options. I have no idea what the port number is supposed to be. And I don't know if knowing those things will even fix the problem I am having.

Is there any documentation on how to configure this software that will explain everything I need to know?

Thanks.

Bev

Beans

Re: Installing an Instant Messenger

I don't know empathy, but pidgin should be able to connect to yahoo without prompting you for the server. Are you trying to connect from home, or are you in a business environment (hence, most probably behind a firewall or proxy)?

If you don't have pidgin already installed, you can install it using synaptic or in a terminal:
    Code:
    $sudo apt-get install pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried pidgin, kopete, and several other im clients. Nothing has worked.

I am at home. On a wireless network. I try to connect to my yahoo id. It just sits there. It will not connect. I see the advanced stuff about servers and ports. Do I leave those blank? But that won't make a difference either.

Is there a really fundamental basic list of things I have to do with a given im client?0

Been working on this for hours. Very tired. Very frustrated.

Bev

Beans

Usually when I start using pidgin on a new machine, I only select the connection type (yahoo in your case), put in my userid and password and connect.
    Have you tried deleting the profile and recreating it?
    Otherwise could you attach some screen shots?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just reinstalled pidgin. My yahoo id is still there. It says it is disabled, whatever that means. I try to re-enable it. It takes me to another screen. Now it says the account is locked, whatever that means. I can use the account on yahoo.ca. I can use it on my blackberry.

Beans

If this the first time you're trying to connect with yahoo messenger from home using wireless, it may be that you have to unblock port 5050 on it.

Also, in pidgin you only need your id (the part before the @) and not the whole email address.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now we're getting somewhere!! How do I unblock or open up a port? Is that through my wireless router admin software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

sounds like a problem with trying to use the .ca address. Sign up for a new addy on .com and see what happens.

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you using? Over the summer, yahoo changed their servers and old versions of empathy, pidgin, etc. can't talk to them. If you are using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) or earlier, then you need to check for updates to pidgin to make sure that this bug is fixed.

for the ports issue: http://www.portforward.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bevboy0223 View Post
    How do I unblock or open up a port? Is that through my wireless router admin software?
    Yes, you have to access the wireless router. Often ports can be enabled under a "services" menu. Some routers already have a whole bunch of apps predefined there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Download Wine. Afterwards, install any MSN, say Windows Live Messenger.
    Code:
    Wine > http://www.winehq.org
    Windows Live Messenger > http://www.get.live.com
    Blackened is the end!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast