Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Arrow Re: Why do Firefox updates break add-ons?

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Also why Firefox add-ons are better than other browsers, in terms of functionality.
    True true...

I should also point out that you are giving the add-on developer a lot of trust, as he has such low level access to your browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why do Firefox updates break add-ons?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    True true...

I should also point out that you are giving the add-on developer a lot of trust, as he has such low level access to your browser.
    Indeed, but Mozilla scan and review all ad-ons, including new versions, prior to making them public.

I hope you don't mind, but I am leeching your posts with nice articles and reposting in the Mega Thread. You find some really nice stuff.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; June 25th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Beans

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Thanks for the link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

nice threads

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Telemetry is on in Nightly Firefox builds

Telemetry went live in Firefox Nightly builds over the weekend. Everyone who wants to contribute to making Firefox better now has an easy new way: opt-in to telemetry.
    There are two ways to opt in:
    A) Click yes when prompted to report performance
    B) Enable it by going to Options/Preferences, then Advanced/General tab

Beans
    Distro

Arrow FF 6-week release cycle

Firefox 6 will be released in eight weeks

Update: Mike Hommey has kindly corrected me; there will be 8 weeks between FF5 and FF6. There will then be 6 weeks between all subsequent releases. The 12 week gap between FF4 and FF5 and the 8-week gap between FF5 and FF6 were artifacts of the timeline used to get the rapid release process up to speed.
    Nicholas Nethercote Glandium: thanks for the correction. https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease doesn’t have much detail beyond FF5, but I just found https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar which has this:
    2011-07-05: Firefox 7 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 6 -> mozilla-beta
    2011-08-16: Firefox 8 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 7 -> mozilla-beta; Firefox 6 -> mozilla-release
    2011-09-27: Firefox 9 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 8 -> mozilla-beta; Firefox 7 -> mozilla-release
    2011-11-08: Firefox 10 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 9 -> mozilla-beta; Firefox 8 -> mozilla-release
    2011-12-20: Firefox 11 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 10 -> mozilla-beta; Firefox 9 -> mozilla-release
    Last edited by SilverWave; June 29th, 2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added Details

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Why do Firefox updates break add-ons?

Add-ons can do basically anything, allowing really complicated add-ons like Firebug and NoScript to exist.
    Also why Firefox add-ons are better than other browsers, in terms of functionality.
    I don’t foresee a future where the only add-ons are SDK based though. We’d lose too many really important add-ons that way so the SDK doesn’t completely solve the problem.
    I have a real world example of this with Boox 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by joliclic;
    Unfortunatly, it's impossible to develop Boox with the sdk.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave;
    Oh that's a shame I am just concerned regarding the new FF fast release being every 6 weeks in future (8weeks for ff6).
    Well... they are apparently doing more testing of Add-ons to help to keep the breakage to a minimum

Hopefully they wont make any changes that affect Boox
    So I am in the same boat as everyone else regarding add-ons, as this one add-on is a deal breaker for me re updating...
    ...while wanting to be as secure as possible, and so needing the latest security updates
    Last edited by SilverWave; June 29th, 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added Details

Beans
    Distro

I have a real world example of this with Boox 3.0

So I am in the same boat as everyone else regarding add-ons, as this one add-on is a deal breaker for me re updating.
    But Boox is already compatible with FF 6.

Beans
    Distro

But Boox is already compatible with FF 6.
    Indeed but as the author can not use the SDK there is no guarantee that this will be so with later versions.

And with new versions hitting every 6 weeks... well I am keeping my fingers crossed

Beans
    Distro

Indeed but as the author can not use the SDK there is no guarantee that this will be so with later versions.

And with new versions hitting every 6 weeks... well I am keeping my fingers crossed
    At least you are safe for at least the next 14 weeks.

Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast