Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Quote Originally Posted by TSP View Post
    Already added this repo. My intention is to use thunderbird from here, but keep firefox in sync with current ubuntu repos. If i hold firefox, i don't get any update...is i do and update i get the firefox from this ppa.
    Is there any way to do this? I mean thunderbird from ppa and firefox from official repos?

Cheers.
    Easiest way is to add the ppa and use the "Synaptic Package Manager" to install Thunderbird.

Then go to "Software Sources" and deselect the ppa from "Other Software".

Just turn it back on whenever you want to get a more up to date Thunderbird (then turn it back off).

"Synaptic Package Manager" is your friend.
    Last edited by SilverWave; January 7th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Now successfully running the 2010 build of 3.6

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2b6pre) Gecko/20100102 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Namoroka/3.6b6pre
    Last edited by SilverWave; January 7th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

For those who'd like to play it safer and stick to the latest mozilla releases (rather than the alphas, betas, and daily trunk builds which you get from this ppa), there's the ubuntuzilla repository:
    http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    For those who'd like to play it safer and stick to the latest mozilla releases (rather than the alphas, betas, and daily trunk builds which you get from this ppa), there's the ubuntuzilla repository:
    http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net/
    Thanks.

I always advise people to be careful and not to install packages except from official sources.

I'm sort of stretching a point with the UMD PPA which is semi-official but I don't like 3rd party scripts. I do like that the UMD uses the same protections as the normal repositories use, such as PGP key signing.

I'm mainly adding the UMD PPA to get the 3.6Beta which has no official package in Ubuntu yet.

Some questions re ubuntuzilla:

• Are your packages PGP key signed.
    • Why don't you use a PPA?
    • Is there a 3.6Beta available now?
    • Are there 64bit versions?
    • Do your packages install to separate directories to the Official Ubuntu Firefox?
    • Can I use my normal 3.5 at the same time as I use your package?
    Last edited by SilverWave; January 7th, 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    Some questions re ubuntuzilla:
    all of these questions are answered on the ubuntuzilla website ... but i'll answer them again

[*] Are your packages PGP key signed.
    yes

][*] Why don't you use a PPA?
    well, the ubuntuzilla repository /is/ a ppa (it is a 'personal package archive'). but i know that what you're really asking is that why it's not a ppa hosted on launchpad, so i'll answer that question.

the problem with using launchpad is that it requires source package uploads (https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Uploading), and then builds the packages. the ubuntuzilla packages, however, are simply repacks of the official binary mozilla builds, rather than builds from source. so there are no 'source' packages to upload.

[*] Is there a 3.6Beta available now?
    no, the repository follows only the official mozilla release stream.

i think the 'unsafe' versions are already quite well served with the daily and security launchpad ppas, so at this point there's no plan to add the betas and alphas and friends.

[*] Are there 64bit versions?
    no, mozilla doesn't release 64bit builds, so there are no 64bit packages.

[*] Do your packages install to separate directories to the Official Ubuntu Firefox?
    yes, the stuff goes into /opt.

[*] Can I use my normal 3.5 at the same time as I use your package?
    yes you can use any other firefoxes that may be present from the ubuntu repositories. (just be careful not to share the same profile between different major versions of firefox - but that applies to any package regardless of it being from ubuntuzilla or not.)

let me know if you have any other questions!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply I was looking though the FAQ...

Ubuntuzilla has moved forward a lot from the last time I looked, very nice

The problem for me is that Ubuntuzilla is the wrong tool for the job in this case.

The only reason I am using the UMD is that Ubuntu has not provided an up to date 3.6b for me at this time.
    Your repository is of no help in this regard as you do not provide beta packages either
    Also as I run a 64 OS, it would be a step back to start installing 32bit packages at this late stage in the game.

TBH I think Ubuntuzilla addressed a real need 2 years ago, I remember that Ubuntu seemed very slow in releasing Firefox security updates at that time.

Your problem is that Ubuntu are now very fast in releasing updates and they release 64bit packages.

I would suggest that if Ubuntuzilla is to stay relevant it needs to offer beta packages and 64bit builds.
    (As Mozilla don't do 64bit builds I'm not sure you can do anything about that given that you repackage but its a real deal breaker).
    Last edited by SilverWave; January 7th, 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: formatting

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntuzilla has moved forward a lot from the last time I looked, very nice
    yea we switched from script to repository very recently.

The problem for me is that Ubuntuzilla is the wrong tool for the job in this case.

The only reason I am using the UMD is that Ubuntu has not provided an up to date 3.6b for me at this time.
    Your repository is of no help in this regard as you do not provide beta packages either
    indeed, if your goal is to use beta or alpha or daily trunk builds, ubuntuzilla is not for you. but since your post title was "install newest firefox", i figured installing the latest /release/ was also applicable, and people looking at this thread might want to know about it.

Also as I run a 64 OS, it would be a step back to start installing 32bit packages at this late stage in the game.
    indeed - but until mozilla starts releasing 64bit builds, there's nothing to repack into .deb and stick into the repository...

TBH I think Ubuntuzilla addressed a real need 2 years ago, I remember that Ubuntu seemed very slow in releasing Firefox security updates at that time.

Your problem is that Ubuntu are now very fast in releasing updates and they release 64bit packages.
    well, it still takes a week or two for a point-release of firefox to make it to the repositories; even longer than that for a point-release of thunderbird; and approximately never for a point-release of seamonkey.

furthermore, major-releases /never/ make it as an update into the repos. if you're on hardy, intrepid, or jaunty, you're stuck with ff3.0. if you're on hardy, intrepid, jaunty, or karmic, you're stuck with tb2. if you're on hardy, intrepid, jaunty, or karmic, you're stuck with seamonkey1. and all of these are currently /supported/ ubuntu releases.

so, imho, ubuntuzilla is still quite relevant and addresses a real need, which is to get the latest mozilla release of $package on your ubuntu install in a timely manner.

I would suggest that if Ubuntuzilla is to stay relevant it needs to offer beta packages and 64bit builds.
    (As Mozilla don't do 64bit builds I'm not sure you can do anything about that given that you repackage but its a real deal breaker).
    well, as far as beta packages - what would be the point of duplicating the effort of the UMD ppa?

as far as 64bit builds... yes, as soon as mozilla starts making 64bit builds (which, afaik, they are planning to do at /some/ point in the medium-term future - as soon as they get the tracemonkey javascript engine working ono 64bit, at any rate), i'll include 64bit builds in the ubuntuzilla repository. until then, 32bit is all i can do.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    yea we switched from script to repository very recently.

furthermore, major-releases /never/ make it as an update into the repos. if you're on hardy, intrepid, or jaunty, you're stuck with ff3.0. [...]
    Thats not correct, I used a Firefox-3.5beta in Jaunty and that was offered from Ubuntu.

See here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

"Jaunty and Karmic
    install the following package: firefox-3.5. Firefox 3.5 will be installed alongside Firefox 3.0."

I was looking for something similar for FF3.6 in Karmic, but as it was originally due out as a quick release, I imagine that it wont be available until it is complete this time.

well, as far as beta packages - what would be the point of duplicating the effort of the UMD ppa?
    Because they are a moving target(and bleeding edge) and you don't get the equivalent to the present official offering from Mozilla(which is only cutting edge) like this one:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Free Download 3.6b5 for Linux i686 English (US) (9.4MB)
    Last edited by SilverWave; January 7th, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: link

Beans
    Distro

That not correct, I used a Firefox-3.5beta in Jaunty and that was offered from Ubuntu.

See here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

"Jaunty and Karmic
    install the following package: firefox-3.5. Firefox 3.5 will be installed alongside Firefox 3.0."
    ah yes, the firefox-3.5 package is there, but it doesn't exist on hardy or intrepid, and comes with "shiretoko" branding.

Because they are a moving target and you don't have the equivalent to the present official offering from Mozilla like this one:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Free Download 3.6b5 for Linux i686 English (US) (9.4MB)
    ah hmm... well that's a good point... i'll consider it, but i think following betas would be more work than i'm willing to deal with.

Beans
    Distro

Latest builds installed and working:

3.6~b6~hg20100104r33473+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~karmic
    1.9.2~b6~hg20100104r33473+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~karmic

3.7~a1~hg20100105r36838+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~karmic
    1.9.3~a1~hg20100105r36838+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~karmic
    Last edited by SilverWave; January 7th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast