Thread: What combination do I need to run 9.10 on a new iMac

Beans

What combination do I need to run 9.10 on a new iMac

I have an Intel Apple iMac March 09-version 9,1, not to be confused with karmic 9.10 I would like to dual boot with macOS just so I can do firmware updates, but it's not mandatory. I don't mind my only boot option being Ubuntu.

I previously installed 9.04 using rEFIt and the instructions here for dual booting MacOS and Ubuntu. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation . That worked perfectly fine.

I was doing a fresh install with Karmic 9.10 and am have difficulty getting Ubuntu to boot.

First I tried reinstalling macOSX (completely wiping the HD), then rEFIt, then making a partion, and doing a grub install to /dev/sda3. When I tried booting into the Legacy OS (rEFIt doesnt recognize the grub partition) I just see the word GRUB and nothing happens. I even tried fixing the partitions through the rEFIt manager, but that didnt work either.

Second, I tried reinstalling macOSX (completely wiping the HD, making a partition, and then I skipped installing rEFIt after reading that it's not necessary for GRUB 2. I installed Ubnuntu and set Grub install to /dev/sda3. I still don't get a boot into Ubuntu.

I guess what I need is a clear process for installing Karmic with grub 2 onto an iMac. Assume I start with only MacOSX. do I need rEFIt? when do I make a partition? Which partion do I install Grub2 to? Is there anything else to do?

Beans

Re: What combination do I need to run 9.10 on a new iMac

What I had to do on a macbook with rEFIT was to use grub-efi to boot. Follow Step 18 in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1327758