Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What backup scheme do you use?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What backup scheme do you use?

and as mighty_joe hinted .... those really "precious" files are copied to DVD's.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

I use luckybackup to backup my home directory once a week and also create a local repository on a usb stick from
    /var/cache/apt/archives so I don't have to re-download if I have to do
    a clean install.

Beans

Wink Re: What backup scheme do you use?

I use Pybackpack and I just back up the .googleearth .mozilla, .openoffice.org .purple [Pidgin IM] .songbird2 & .thunderbird.

Everything else is done as a fresh installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hope someday we have something like 2brightsparks syncback in Linux
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html
    Used it in windoze and it's wonderful software.
    Beats all other backup softwares by 10 - 0 in my opinion.
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hey, i just remembered what backup system Linus Torvalds used for backup when he started to development of the kernel, he just copied all files for one ftp server and after sort time you find them almost from all ftp servers in internet.
    Last edited by KeLa; December 18th, 2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: corrected mistyping.
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Personally I use jungledisk and Amazon S3 cloud.

You can't really rely on on-site backups and off-site with tapes or DVD's can become an admin nightmare.

Always test the reliability of restoring on a new machine, you will be suprised. Also keep a copy of any backup software.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dropbox all the way - i use it for backing up essential personal files, config and development files/scripts... your files get automatically synched across all your machines on which you have dropbox installed so you can always work with them. you get 2GB of free storage space, which can be expanded by introducing new people to dropbox or by purchasing it.
    Try Dropbox today - the ultimate online storage tool! Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/fcuk112.

Beans

Simply... an rsync script.

Tar ball /home, /etc, /usr/share/themes,icons,backgrounds,font

backup to external drive... I exclude the HUGE directories in my /home from the tar ball, so it only picks up configs. Rsync for music, videos, docs to a Backup drive.

If you keep the name of the Backup drive consistent then you can create a UDEV script which will auto run the script everytime that drive is plugged in.

oh and my personal favorite...

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > installed_packages.txt
    That way I don't have to worry about trying to remember all the little packages I've installed... Just dpkg --set-selections and install...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am a fairly new Ubuntu user and like you I have backup questions.

At this time I have partitioned my disk to include a Shared_Data partition and 5 operating system partitions. One operating system is Windows and it is standalone. It doesn't access the Shared_Data partitions. All the other OS partitions have different versions of Ubuntu or Kubuntu on them and they all access the Shared_Data partition. I just use either a simple drag&drop under Nautilus or a cp under Terminal to copy all my data on the Shared_Data partition to an external USB hard drive. I have gone to the trouble of making sure that anything I want backed up is on the Shared_Data partition. This includes all email, address books, group email lists, Firefox Bookmarks, and any files I create.

If I screw up an OS partition, which I have done, I just drop back to an older version of the OS and run using it. That gets me going immediately. When I get a chance I reformat and reload the OS that failed. If I lose the Shared_Disk partition, which I have not had happen, I would reformat and reload that partition from the external USB disk. If I mistakenly delete a file, I just go to the USB disk and copy it back. I keep a rotation of 3 copies of my backup on the USB disk, so that if I would lose the latest one, I could at least get most of my files back from an earlier backup. Of course if I have a total disk failure it would take me some time to reinstall the entire system and reload all my data from the USB drive.

I tried sbackup and strongly recommend against it. In fact I recommend against any backup system that combines all the separate folder/files into a few very large files with a single directory. sbackup does this and during my experimentation somehow the combined file directory got screwed up and I couldn't recover a single file. I have had this happen on other backup systems over the years. I want a system that is robust in the sense that if one file gets messed up I can still recover all the others. So far the only way I have found to achieve this goal in Ubuntu is with a simple copy.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Since I have to function in a winders world supporting a herd of winders boxen, I use SyncToy from MS. (I know; boo, hiss, and all that) So far it works just fine. I sync to my thumbdrive at work, then again at home so my stuff is in two separate locations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast