Thread: can not read windows DVD / cannot mount volume

Beans

can not read windows DVD / cannot mount volume

Is their a fix yet so that ubuntu can read windows disks it does not matter if its xp or vista dvd same thing yes its the way that xp and vista save the files I need a fix and been waiting months for the fix or at least let me know if it will never be then I can look for another operating system that will...

this is the only downfall for me about running ubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: can not read windows DVD / cannot mount volume

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraft Bill View Post
    Is their a fix yet so that ubuntu can read windows disks it does not matter if its xp or vista dvd same thing yes its the way that xp and vista save the files I need a fix and been waiting months for the fix or at least let me know if it will never be then I can look for another operating system that will...

this is the only downfall for me about running ubuntu...
    I hope I understood your dilemna. If not, I apologize.

I can get my linux/Ubuntu to read and write files that are saved in an NTFS partition or hard drive ... such files that can also be read/written by my windows' OS.

However, I don't know if linux/Ubuntu is able to do anything about a "windows-based-DVD-that-you-pop-in-the-CD/DVD-drive.

One option available for you is to install virtualbox and then install a windows OS as guest (aka virtualize windows). That way, your system thinks' it's a windows machine whenever you pop in that windows-based DVD.

Regards,
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
    I hope I understood your dilemna. If not, I apologize.

I can get my linux/Ubuntu to read and write files that are saved in an NTFS partition or hard drive ... such files that can also be read/written by my windows' OS.

However, I don't know if linux/Ubuntu is able to do anything about a "windows-based-DVD-that-you-pop-in-the-CD/DVD-drive.

One option available for you is to install virtualbox and then install a windows OS as guest (aka virtualize windows). That way, your system thinks' it's a windows machine whenever you pop in that windows-based DVD.

Regards,
    yes you understand my dilemma so is this the only work around to the problem then?

still not how I wish things to work other solution is for me to get some of them terabyte hardrives and spend hours transferring files over from DVD another thing I really don't want to do...

do you think anyone will come up with a solution for ubuntu to read the windows DVD's without the above work arounds...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraft Bill View Post
    ...of them terabyte hardrives and spend hours transferring files over from DVD another thing I really don't want to do...
    Those files, are they "media/pictures/data" or "applications/programs"?

I can use XP to burn data/media into a DVD and then open them in my Ubuntu.

What I cannot do is load in the CD tray a program dvd (say, MS Office, for example) and expect Ubuntu to run it.

As for workarounds .... I cannot say. Am sorry.

Regards,
    Last edited by raymondh; December 11th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow