Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What I *really* miss from Windows...

Beans

Re: What I *really* miss from Windows...

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I'm not familiar with KolourPaint, but I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing that.

As far as AppArmor, I can't say I've used it. I'm more of an SELinux/PAM kinda guy, which I know has the gross learning curve, but it's pretty solid. I first started playing with SELinux in RHEL. Using it, I can build linux machines that from a security standpoint the box qualifies as an appliance in an audit. Other times, I may slack on some aspects of security if I know I am addressing them off the host. You have seven layers to isloate security issues from a network standpoint, and they don't always all have to be applied and originating on a target host unless you are under strict guidelines to do so.
    i don't know if kolourpaint is any better then the others, it's just what i've always used.

i found being interested in computer security helped me learn so much about computers because of the all the malware attack vectors - ring0, userspace, DLL injection, buffer overruns, firewalls, internet protocols, hacktivex, killbits, JS, registry startups, etc, i'm still pretty clueless, but i learned more then if i'd been interested in gaming.

since i've used linux everyday i learned how to run linux, then stopped learning because you don't really have linux security forums like you have windows forums.
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ice60 View Post
    i don't know if kolourpaint is any better then the others, it's just what i've always used.

i found being interested in computer security helped me learn so much about computers because of the all the malware attack vectors - ring0, userspace, DLL injection, buffer overruns, firewalls, internet protocols, hacktivex, killbits, JS, registry startups, etc, i'm still pretty clueless, but i learned more then if i'd been interested in gaming.

since i've used linux everyday i learned how to run linux, then stopped learning because you don't really have linux security forums like you have windows forums.
    Interesting point.

I think I learned the most about windows security by being a Windows Application packager for a few years and applying that set of skills to my system admin skillset I've learned over the years. You get pretty intimate with windows installer technology, the registry, the TCP Stack, Installation and uninstallation GUIDS, silent registration, library isolation, execution stack etc etc.. Its precisely this view that makes me appreciate the approach in linux applications and the overall security model.
    Last edited by toupeiro; June 30th, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

I miss a good looking interface.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by acelin View Post
    I miss a good looking interface.
    See thats one thing I always felt Windows never had. It was probably good looking to the person/people that designed it, but its not like you had a slew of options if you didn't, and things like stardock were too bloated. I could always make KDE or Gnome look and feel pretty much the way I wanted from day one.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Jeez.. this thread is 2 years old

That's what you call a topic kick..
    ➙ Synchronize all your files across Windows, Linux and Mac OS with Dropbox (2GB free storage!). By signing up via this link I'll get some extra space also, thanks!

Multiseat on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by RebounD11 View Post
    2 things... if you didn't know how to solve the problem, I don't think it was that simple... and calling them micro$ucks doesn't do to much good to your apparent intelligence.
    ?????....WoW! Nice to meet you too buddy!

Beans

What I miss is being able to pop in a live concert DVD and it fires right up.

I've been fighting with codecs and other ******** ever since I started on Ubuntu, way back almost 3 years ago now.

Still, to this day, even with Hardy Heron, I have no audio when I put in a dvd and play it through VLC.

Perhaps a full blown install of XP is due in the near future, sadly. But hey, at the end of the day, you gotta go with what works...

Beans

Viruses, spyware, excessive bloat and use of system resources

Aside from that, I still haven't gotten my Canon scanner to work but I'm working on that. Did get the printer part of my Canon to work.

Alas, I will still always use windows if only on a limited basis to keep my Windows skills honed as I fix Windows PC's.

I am always trying to convert people over to Linux and have had little success (1 person) but it's a start. I've got others to at least try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nothing compares to windows movie maker...as in simplicity, of course.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789