Thread: Ubuntu will not allow flash webcam and voice chat

Beans

Ubuntu will not allow flash webcam and voice chat

As you can see from this page everyone reports the same linux flash bug as me, so its not just me, its 100% of linux on 100% of computers:

http://getsatisfaction.com/12seconds...h_10_for_linux

-------------------------------

www.tinychat.com

want to do tiny chat where it uses flash to have a voice chat with someone and you have linux? tough, you cant do it, its yet another thing linux simply does not work with

normally in windows youd pull down the cam icon menu and click select my cam, and choose use no cam to do voice chat only, then the common flash dialog box allowing you to press the ALLOW button would pop up to give flash access to mic and webcam....but with linux, no. Yet another linux failure that forces you to almost always use windows.

for an example of this linux failure, try out Tinychat.com with windows, then try it with linux and youll see it doesnt work. this is true of all flash sites that use webcam or mic by tiny chat is given as an example so you can go see for yourself

tell them to fix this.

I use windows 99.99% of the time because nothing i want to do works with ubuntu, including flash voice chat as just one example. It wont even play videos right and they are choppy, i have to use windows even for hulu.com TV shows (current nvidia technology, newer computer) . It fails all of the time with everything. I have it installed on the hard drive, but basically my only use for linux is to have it on flash drive in case my hard drive physically breaks and i have to get online to order a new one.

Maybe we should have a very simple bug report form. I really dont get how supper obvious common things arent noticed year after year after year and not fixed. how can someone not notice things like flash mic and webcam doesnt work, something so common?? how is that possible? strange.
    Last edited by Tone303; December 9th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu will not allow flash webcam and voice chat

did you read this part of it?

olegueret replied 9 months ago
    This is a problem with the wmode transparent that is used by the Flash content in 12Seconds site. The proper solution is that they change it to wmode window (for the 12Seconds crew, more info in Flash Player 10 Security Changes).

In the meantime, for end users, there is a possibility to allow permission to the 12seconds site to use camera & micro using an external Flash configuration page. Just go to this page, search the website "12seconds.tv" in the Pricacy Tab -it has an icon of a monitor with an eye inside-, select it and then choose "Allways allow". Now return to 12Seconds site and reload it ("settings" popup menu will still be disabled, but it should be possible to use camera).
    Apperently The don't really seem that interested in fixing it. I was trying this out a while ago, I found the answer on the Ubuntu forums. go figure.
    Patchouli doesn't stink, hippies do.