Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    After spending 1 week of searching around, finally found a way to make it work!

    By default, it was not recognised in jaunty and karmic. You can use usb_modeswitch to change the modem mode but it'll be even easier to eject it. Thats why i created this script for the ease of own usage.

    Something to take note:

    The device doesn't activate scanning of available network in Linux. The led light will always be red. In order for it to scan, you have to plug it into a widoze machine and install whatever crap it comes with, wait for the led light to change(any color but red) and plug out without using the safe remove device in widoze.

    If you are interested in modifying it to your mobile BB device, please feel free to do so and share with others. One of the interesting guide to start http://tuxmobil.org/linux_on_laptops...mts_cards.html. Google it and there're more out there.

    PS: If you are not sure of what u are doing, please don't try on other device other then the above mention as I can't promise that it'll work or break anything.

    Do remember to change the permission for exec.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nebileix; December 11th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    3

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Hi nebileix , I've tried running the script from nautilus just clicking run or run in terminal to no effect ... am I missing out on anything ?

    i have the phs300 and running the latest kernal (x.17 i think)
    had also tried various ways but didn't manage to get it running ...

    would appreciate your help

    oh i'm a noob....
    how can i execute your file in terminal ? currently i'm running it from a sudo nautilus ...
    I did notice the following errors :

    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-vmc, it will be ignored in a future release.

    /3gusb: line 15: gnome-ppp: command not found

    updated:
    I manage to uninstall my previous modem tool -vodafone betavine.
    installed gnome ppp
    got the pop up box ....

    not sure how I can connect to my M1 broadband line ...
    was in setup when tried to detect usb modem an error "no modem was found in your system"
    any idea how to proceed?
    Last edited by Kevin-; January 15th, 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: additional info on error

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Edubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    I have same problem as kevin!!!!

    line 15: gnome-ppp: command not found

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Sorry for the late reply guys.

    U'll need gnome-ppp to work. A few things to check first:

    1) Which ubuntu u are using?

    2) Did u manage to get the led blue or purple after u plug in?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin- View Post
    not sure how I can connect to my M1 broadband line ...
    Use the usb modem in windows and check the settings over there. Please do take note of the usb modem is not activated by default. You need to activate it via windows system as well. Wait for the led on the modem to be blue or red, then plug out straight without using windows eject hardware.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin- View Post
    was in setup when tried to detect usb modem an error "no modem was found in your system"
    any idea how to proceed?
    do
    Code:
    ls /dev/ttyU*
    in the terminal and see what is available and let me know. Should select ttyUSB2 in gnome-ppp settings.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    9

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Hi everyone,

    So I have downloaded the script and tried to run that. At first it says 'gnome -ppp' command not found.

    So after I downloaded and installed gnome-ppp-0.3.23.tar.bz2

    Then again tried to run the script it shows a popup and ask to enter a user name password which I have no idea what it is.

    What should I do after this point?

    My ubuntu version is Latest 10.04

    Thanks in advance

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathees View Post
    Hi everyone,

    So I have downloaded the script and tried to run that. At first it says 'gnome -ppp' command not found.

    So after I downloaded and installed gnome-ppp-0.3.23.tar.bz2

    Then again tried to run the script it shows a popup and ask to enter a user name password which I have no idea what it is.

    What should I do after this point?

    My ubuntu version is Latest 10.04

    Thanks in advance
    Sorry for late reply. For the username and password in the gnome-ppp, will need to depend on ur mobile broadband telco. For my case, my telco dun actually required any username and password. But gnome-ppp would required those field to be filled in. So just input anything in there. If you are using 10.04, you might not need to use the script as from what im aware, the network-manager are able to recognise the device now using modem manager. All you need to do is to eject the device by

    Code:
    $ eject /dev/"sr1"(Replace sr1 with whatever it has been recognise)
    U will need to google the setting for your telco. Btw, if u still wanna use this script, pm me and i'll email u the updated one as there are some changes to it.
    Last edited by nebileix; June 10th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

    Smile Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    in Ubuntu 10.04 this become easier. Open System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager n install usb-modeswitch from there.

    Open terminal n type sudo nano /etc/modules hit enter. Add this line:

    usbserial vendor=0x1e0e product=0x9100

    Save n exit. The next time u boot, this modem is ready to be connected to the internet by clicking the internet connection icon on the right side of the gnome panel.

    Enjoy..

    Edit - Ok, one would say, how could i install usb-modeswitch since i can't connect my modem to internet in the first place. Don't worry. Here's the solution.
    1. Put ur modem in the usb port.
    2. Right click the icon appeared on the desktop n choose 'eject'
    3. Open terminal n type:

    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1e0e product=0x9100

    4. Hit enter n close ur terminal.
    5. Click the internet connection icon on the right side of gnome panel n choose 'New broadband connection..." n follow the instruction. Done.

    To avoid key-in this command each time u start ur box, just follow my steps of installing usb-modeswitch n adding module in the /etc/modules.

    =)
    Last edited by kdi; June 14th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Quote Originally Posted by kdi View Post
    in Ubuntu 10.04 this become easier. Open System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager n install usb-modeswitch from there.

    Open terminal n type sudo nano /etc/modules hit enter. Add this line:

    usbserial vendor=0x1e0e product=0x9100

    Save n exit. The next time u boot, this modem is ready to be connected to the internet by clicking the internet connection icon on the right side of the gnome panel.

    Enjoy..

    Edit - Ok, one would say, how could i install usb-modeswitch since i can't connect my modem to internet in the first place. Don't worry. Here's the solution.
    1. Put ur modem in the usb port.
    2. Right click the icon appeared on the desktop n choose 'eject'
    3. Open terminal n type:

    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1e0e product=0x9100

    4. Hit enter n close ur terminal.
    5. Click the internet connection icon on the right side of gnome panel n choose 'New broadband connection..." n follow the instruction. Done.

    To avoid key-in this command each time u start ur box, just follow my steps of installing usb-modeswitch n adding module in the /etc/modules.

    =)
    Yeah. Use his method. My script was done before that. It's easier that way.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    9

    Re: Work around for PROLINK PHS300 HSUPA USB MODEM.

    Quote Originally Posted by nebileix View Post
    Sorry for late reply. For the username and password in the gnome-ppp, will need to depend on ur mobile broadband telco. For my case, my telco dun actually required any username and password. But gnome-ppp would required those field to be filled in. So just input anything in there. If you are using 10.04, you might not need to use the script as from what im aware, the network-manager are able to recognise the device now using modem manager. All you need to do is to eject the device by

    Code:
    $ eject /dev/"sr1"(Replace sr1 with whatever it has been recognise)
    U will need to google the setting for your telco. Btw, if u still wanna use this script, pm me and i'll email u the updated one as there are some changes to it.
    Thanks nebilex. I am really sorry for very late reply. After couple of tries I had almost given up on this process and settled with Windows. Last month was very busy since we had some deadlines I couldn't look into the issue anymore.

    Last night I tried to run Erlang on my Windows 7 x64 and I couldn't make it.There is just no way to fix and no workarounds I couldn't find. So I wanted to get back to Ubuntu, and the problem arises again and here I'm checking the forum again. I'm at office now so I'll have to look in to the issue tonight.

    BTW my network also doesn't require a user name and password. I just need to enter the APN in the very first time to connect. (In Windows)

    Quote Originally Posted by kdi View Post
    in Ubuntu 10.04 this become easier. Open System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager n install usb-modeswitch from there.

    Open terminal n type sudo nano /etc/modules hit enter. Add this line:

    usbserial vendor=0x1e0e product=0x9100

    Save n exit. The next time u boot, this modem is ready to be connected to the internet by clicking the internet connection icon on the right side of the gnome panel.

    Enjoy..

    Edit - Ok, one would say, how could i install usb-modeswitch since i can't connect my modem to internet in the first place. Don't worry. Here's the solution.
    1. Put ur modem in the usb port.
    2. Right click the icon appeared on the desktop n choose 'eject'
    3. Open terminal n type:

    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1e0e product=0x9100

    4. Hit enter n close ur terminal.
    5. Click the internet connection icon on the right side of gnome panel n choose 'New broadband connection..." n follow the instruction. Done.

    To avoid key-in this command each time u start ur box, just follow my steps of installing usb-modeswitch n adding module in the /etc/modules.

    =)
    Thanks kdi. When I started to read the reply I was thinking about how do I download the mod switch without the internet but luckily you have given the answer already.

    Sp tonight I'll try this method and I hope this will work fine.

    @nebilex
    As you suggested first I'll try this method. If it's didn't work I'll report the problem. May be then I can PM you to sent the script. Advance thanks for helping me ...
    Last edited by Kathees; July 9th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •