Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karmic--can't set static ip config

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Karmic--can't set static ip config

Quote Originally Posted by shawnisalk View Post
    I don't understand why the wireless card isn't working, though.
    Your machine uses eth1 for wireless? My laptop does, as well, but wlan0 is another common alias. I presume you've checked lshw -C network to verify interface status.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Red face Re: Karmic--can't set static ip config

Hi, It is rather bad on the part of ubuntu that my internet connection changed for me after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10. Earlier I had a static IP on the laptop and the new network manager refused to take a static IP. On doing networking restart, I would get the static IP. My solution: 1 sudo apt-get remove network-manager network-manager-gnome 2 Restarted system on dialog asking for same. 3 sudo apt-get install gnome-network-admin 4 Added 192.168.1.1 in DNS servers using network-admin Regards, KCN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I actually discovered a solution. I had previously uninstalled Network Manager.

I re-installed it and of course, it wiped out any static settings I'd made.
    Then, instead of trying to edit Eth0 in Network Manager (which it would never let me do),
    I created a new network connection, defined it the way I wanted (statically) and then I deleted Eth0.

So now I have what I wanted: wireless nic config'd via dhcp and ethernet nic config'd statically

I just wish I had thought of that earlier.

*shrug*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shawnisalk View Post
    I actually discovered a solution. I had previously uninstalled Network Manager.

I re-installed it and of course, it wiped out any static settings I'd made.
    Then, instead of trying to edit Eth0 in Network Manager (which it would never let me do),
    I created a new network connection, defined it the way I wanted (statically) and then I deleted Eth0.

So now I have what I wanted: wireless nic config'd via dhcp and ethernet nic config'd statically

I just wish I had thought of that earlier.

*shrug*
    I had the exact same problem as you did. Apply button was not available when attempting to set Manual config. However you can change the default ethO to manual. After clicking the IPV4 tab to edit select Manual(which you did) then click the add button in Addresses field and add your static IP hit Enter then click on Netmask(did you do this?)and you will be able to enter it, then
    click on Gateway and enter it.Either after clicking on Netmask
    or Gateway (I don't remember which) I noticed Apply was available.
    I couldn't figure out how to enter my Netmask/Gateway values when
    I just clicked on Netmask and the enter field appeared. Anyways this worked for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManyBeers View Post
    I had the exact same problem as you did. Apply button was not available when attempting to set Manual config. However you can change the default ethO to manual. After clicking the IPV4 tab to edit select Manual(which you did) then click the add button in Addresses field and add your static IP hit Enter then click on Netmask(did you do this?)and you will be able to enter it, then
    click on Gateway and enter it.Either after clicking on Netmask
    or Gateway (I don't remember which) I noticed Apply was available.
    I couldn't figure out how to enter my Netmask/Gateway values when
    I just clicked on Netmask and the enter field appeared. Anyways this worked for me.
    You're right, this works. I was kind of stuck and willing to try some more unconventional approaches, but fortunately I read your post. When I entered the Netmask info, the apply button appeared. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12