Thread: Built in and Philips SPC715NC webcams don't work on Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Question Built in and Philips SPC715NC webcams on Ubuntu 9.04?

Hi, Im a new linux (ubuntu 9.04) user...just switched from Vista to Ubuntu...
    Never programmed so I am totally lost, whenever I come across some issues with my HP G60-235.

The issue is with my webcams...I have a built in webcam, that only works the first 10 seconds I use it everytime after a reboot...so to use it I have to basically reboot my laptop every 15 secs or so.

So I got a Philips SPC715NC and tried to install it. I read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=641006 but got totally lost because I just have NO clue what they are talking about. (exept for downloading and "de-tar-ring")

Could anyone please help me with those webcams? Will they work on my machine?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanks for your help! (=
    PS-step for step would be great!
    Last edited by DomNewToLinux; August 6th, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: misleading title

Beans

Re: Built in and Philips SPC715NC webcams don't work on Ubuntu 9.04

Alright, since Karmic there have been some improvements. At least with lsusb I can now see that my Webcam is recognized (as SPC710). But with Kopete I can only see a green screen. Maybe it's because the system uses sonixj (whatever that means...).

Please, can someone help me? Thanks in advance