Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas666 View Post

The number of kilobytes reported by BIOS and the number reported by /proc/meminfo:
    are different. And they do use same units.
    I guess I misunderstood the nature of your question. Sorry for wasting your time, and take care.

Beans

You should be grateful that your system can use that much. A lot of recent motherboards still don't have proper BIOS support for >4GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    You should be grateful that your system can use that much. A lot of recent motherboards still don't have proper BIOS support for >4GB RAM
    Really? Like which ones? I plan to upgrade soon and want to avoid those. I find that very strange as my system is almost 3 years old, and I have had 8GB on it (with original BIOS) from the beginning. Are you sure those are "recent" boards?

Beans

Look through the recently closed x86-64 forum and witness the number of threads about RAM usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hmmmm.....yaa....found one thread about Tyan K8WE....released in 2005....and another thread about Asus P5VM, about 2 (or 3)years old......couple of threads about laptops. I doubt there are many recent boards with problems supporting >4GB....maybe a very small number.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sHardLinux View Post
    Really? Like which ones? I plan to upgrade soon and want to avoid those. I find that very strange as my system is almost 3 years old, and I have had 8GB on it (with original BIOS) from the beginning. Are you sure those are "recent" boards?
    I know the problem. Some MBs have problems with 4 sticks sitting in them (usually that's all slots taken). And that usually requires a significant voltage increase on one of the bridges (north?).

Also, New MBs are more and more "memory picky", always check the manafacturer's website for all supported memory brands and models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Look through the recently closed x86-64 forum and witness the number of threads about RAM usage.
    Thanks, I'll check it.

L.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12