Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karmic installation does not detect HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Karmic installation does not detect HDD

Been running 9.10 for a little while installed within windows. Have decided to step things up and have cleared a hard drive to dedicate to Ubuntu. Its an 80gb Seagate sata.

When I try and install it detects my other 3 drives but not this one. I've tried disconnecting the other drives, swapping sata ports, formatting it and nothing makes a difference.

If I boot off the livecd or liveusb the drive appears just fine. I've searched the net and can't find any solutions.

Appreciate any ideas....

Kyle

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Karmic installation does not detect HDD

Quote Originally Posted by khadland View Post
    Been running 9.10 for a little while installed within windows. Have decided to step things up and have cleared a hard drive to dedicate to Ubuntu. Its an 80gb Seagate sata.

When I try and install it detects my other 3 drives but not this one. I've tried disconnecting the other drives, swapping sata ports, formatting it and nothing makes a difference.

If I boot off the livecd or liveusb the drive appears just fine. I've searched the net and can't find any solutions.

Appreciate any ideas....

Kyle
    Kyle,

Try :

1. Boot into the liveCD and go live session (try ubuntu ...). Access a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove dmraid
    Close terminal and proceed to install.

2. Another tip provided by presence1960 is to make sure in step 4 of the install process that the proper HD is selected in the upper right Box.

Regards and good luck.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks Raymond!

I'll give it a go this evening.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks Raymond!

I'll give it a go this evening.
    Like always, have a working/tested back-up of your files. Working on the HD and partitioning always has inherent risks.

Regards,
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Removing dmraid did the trick. Thanks heaps!

Beans
    Hidden!

Removing dmraid did the trick. Thanks heaps!
    You're welcome.

Happy ubuntu-ing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
    Kyle,

Try :

1. Boot into the liveCD and go live session (try ubuntu ...). Access a terminal and type

Code:

2. Another tip provided by presence1960 is to make sure in step 4 of the install process that the proper HD is selected in the upper right Box.

Regards and good luck.
    Just want to say thanks. This thread and specially this answer saved me from going nuts installing my new Ubuntu. I usually dont say anything and but, seriously, thanks for taking the time of answering.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugolp View Post
    Just want to say thanks. This thread and specially this answer saved me from going nuts installing my new Ubuntu. I usually dont say anything and but, seriously, thanks for taking the time of answering.
    You're welcome. Happy holidays

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
    Kyle,

Try :

Code:

Regards and good luck.
    Hello, I have this same problem.
    Only I'm triying to install the OS from a usb stick.
    and it won't detect my hard drive.
    80GB HD

I'm a noob at installing OS so mind explaining this where I can understand it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper' View Post
    Hello, I have this same problem.
    Only I'm triying to install the OS from a usb stick.
    and it won't detect my hard drive.
    80GB HD

I'm a noob at installing OS so mind explaining this where I can understand it?
    Similar to above ...

- Boot into the USB stick (that is, plug the USB then make the USB stick first to boot in BIOS ).
    - Select 'TRY UBUNTU WITHOUT ANY CHANGES'. That is called a live session
    - When the live session desktop loads, navigate to applications > accessories > terminal
    - In the terminal, type (or copy-and-paste this command) :

Code:
    - Let it do it's thing. Once done, close the terminal. In the desktop, you'll see an INSTALL icon. Click on it to instal and see if your HD is detected in step 4.

If not, post back any error message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast