Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1233

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emostarxd View Post

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH EMOSTARXD !!!!!!!!!!

this looks very promising to try that's for sure..can't wait until tonight to give it a shot. i will post back my results.

one quick question though...do you think any usb cable will work? or is there some kind of special adaptor you have to use ? i'd think that just a normal usb to usb cable should work right? when i got the device the guy never gave me anyting besides the ac plug ...

AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!

justsomeguy11

Beans

use a pair of tweezers or the bared ends of a cable tie to short the component
    This will allow to connect via any USB-to-USB cable.
    Please try and let me know. I can't find this cable on any shop and I have ordered its production from the service master.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emostarxd View Post
    This will allow to connect via any USB-to-USB cable.
    Please try and let me know. I can't find this cable on any shop and I have ordered its production from the service master.
    just wanted to give an update...i thought i had one of these cables kickin around in my box of messy cables but didn't ...gonna pick one up tonight or tomorrow morning and give this a try this weekend FOR SURE....so i'll post back my results....(hopefully they will be good results)....

cheers..

justsomeguy11

Beans

Hi emostarxd and justsomeguy11
    Together with Celem,Winston91,Nextvolume,PrFaas and many others many months ago we tried to find the partition (of many,probably) on the Via VT8500 where to burn a new boot-loader and therefrom find where to install a linux distribution.Unfortunately there seem not to exist a "lift-off" tool for the VT8500 like the chinese tool for the different ZTK Samsung brand you are talking about.I guess you will find a partition for the boot-loader,a (hidden?) partition for the kernel and another for the file system on your machines,perhaps even more partitions.If you succsede in lifting off and burning back on your Anyka machines with the chinese tool I will be impressed.Good luck
    PS: There is much confusion around processors on these small books.The CNM books linked to above is to the "silver" windows CE edition,another linux CNM version use a different chip I vaguely remember,but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by PerChristensen; March 8th, 2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PerChristensen View Post
    Hi emostarxd and justsomeguy11
    Together with Celem,Winston91,Nextvolume,PrFaas and many others many months ago we tried to find the partition (of many,probably) on the Via VT8500 where to burn a new boot-loader and therefrom find where to install a linux distribution.Unfortunately there seem not to exist a "lift-off" tool for the VT8500 like the chinese tool for the different ZTK Samsung brand you are talking about.I guess you will find a partition for the boot-loader,a (hidden?) partition for the kernel and another for the file system on your machines,perhaps even more partitions.If you succsede in lifting off and burning back on your Anyka machines with the chinese tool I will be impressed.Good luck
    PS: There is much confusion around processors on these small books.The CNM books linked to above is to the "silver" windows CE edition,another linux CNM version use a different chip I vaguely remember,but I may be wrong.
    i finally got my hands on a usb to usb transfer cable....was a real pain trying to track one down...well hopefully i'll at least be able to read this device...

you say we will find a partition (hidden)..what do ya mean by that? seems like you've done your homework on these things...any tips you can give in regards to at least getting the thing back up in running condition? i'm not looking at doing anything fancy with it (at the moment)...i just want to start by getting back to a state where it can be used, and then test different things after i can at least get into the damn thing..

are you saying you couldnt get to the kernel? is that why you said "hidden"? or did you find only part of it?

there seems to be more then just confusion around the processors..seems to be alot of confussion around the whole device. i'm thinking it's because the device is not that popular. and also that there's not a lot to it is there...just another little chineese toy that got over marketed and confused people as to what it can do so people bought it...

i bought it just for something to screw around with and see if i could get it going since when i got this it was in a bricked state and i was bored...now instead of being bored i'm pulling my hair out ! lol...but since you seemed to have screwed around with these alot more then me and tips and advice as to some steps would be great !!

thanks buddy...

Beans

I am afraid I only can help with these two links:

A brasilian site with links to VT8500 + VT8505 restore software
    http://www.netbookce.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

Anyka Forum
    http://mininetbooks.your-board.com/

If processor is VIA ARM the first link should help in restoring.The second link goes to forum for netbooks with another brand of ARM processor (CNM book "silver" etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hate to be that guy, but this is a 114 page thread on this subject, which covers quite a bit of ground. Could anyone whose been doing this for awhile post an update for those of us coming in late? I mean something simple explaining what hardware is known to be supported in Linux, which desktops are recommended, and generally whether it is practical to get one of these and seek to install Linux on them?

If Android is recommended, what are the options with apps? I have an Android tablet so I might be able to get some apps from there to run on one of these but generally that is heavily dependent on which revision of the system you're using and at last look I think someone said only Android 1.6 was supported? Is that right?

What are the options with regards to WinCE on these (yes, I know I know...) is it possible to convert them to Windows Mobile devices and hopefully access more apps that way?

I have a friend who has one and he's been quite disappointed with his as is, if I manage to get it from him to work with it I'd like to have some idea of what is known to be possible before I waste a lot of my time duplicating what is already done.

Thanks!

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PerChristensen View Post
    I am afraid I only can help with these two links:

A brasilian site with links to VT8500 + VT8505 restore software
    http://www.netbookce.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

Anyka Forum
    http://mininetbooks.your-board.com/

If processor is VIA ARM the first link should help in restoring.The second link goes to forum for netbooks with another brand of ARM processor (CNM book "silver" etc.)
    awesome links !!! thank you very much !! i just had to totally take the mobo out of the unit and flip it to find out that it is a WM8505...so at least now i know what i'm dealing with. the second link is great for any beginners (like me) who want to read up on these devices since there isn't very many forums out there i've found on this thing..one thing i can't figure out is when the instructions say you have to jump the certain pins i can't find anywhere the name/number of the pins your suppose to jump..there is a picture of them but its not clear enough to read, and on my unit there's alot to choose from. but there is nothing like master/slave pins or pogo pins type things...mostly just little things sodered on the mobo (sorry for my lack of proper explanation of the things sodered on the mobo).

however first i am going to try the SD card thing and see how that works before i try this jumper thing !! will post back results as i go...i know i was supposed to do this the other weekend but things came up and i can only do this once in awhile and only little things at a time..lol....

***update***

so i've gotten a little bit ahead now. i downloaded 2 different files from that link above (thanks again). 1 was the 8505 and the 2nd was the vt8505..the 2nd one has gotten me the progress. i've managed to get it to step 3 of upgrading..which is safe mode. it says upgrade safe mode sucessfull....then it's just hanging..but this is a step forward at least !!! i tried to upgrade it 2 times in a row now but it keeps hanging at the same spot. i'm going to try some more tomorrow evening and see what else i can get it to do...gotta get some sleep now..

.O 1 dumbass thing i did...i tried a couple times but nothing was happening at first when i put the SD card in...until i flipped it upside down..then it worked ! wierd that you have to put the sd card in upside down !! in any device i've used sd cards in they will only go in one way, try to put them in wrong and they usually just don't fit...well that wasn't the case here and you should have seen the big smile on this guy's face when i saw that screen pop up with something other then just black lines and saw actual words come across it and it start to upgrade !!!!

anyway, i'll post more results tomorrow...its a bonus that i haven't had to use the jump method with usb-usb yet...

cheers
    Last edited by justsomeguy11; March 11th, 2011 at 05:06 AM.

Beans

i've been getting so frustrated with this damn thing i think i gotta put it aside for a bit before i smash the damn thing !

]i've download about 6 or 7 different versions of wm8505 files , including 2 or
    3 androids, sylvania's,and afew unnamed ones'..all giving the same results. all freezing up in the same place..,right afterit says sucessful safe mode upgrade...the androids freeze after awhile as well...i've never gotten to any screen where is says to reboot the device..always freezes up way before that point...man i just don't know what else to try or to do !!! i'm at a totall loss here..i've read about a million different threads thanks to the link above..but still nothing !!! FML ~

Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast