Page 115 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1233

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

I hate this device. love the challenge...but am starting to get very fustrated

does no one have any ideas, hints, tips or advice out there !!!???!!! lmao...guess the support for this device is pretty much non-existent huh...

has anyone ever gotten this device to boot properly by doing the usb-usb way?
    Last edited by justsomeguy11; March 16th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.

Beans

Hello,

I don't know if you know but you can now get a FREE Ubuntu Linux desktop computer........ in the cloud.

amazon web services.

It is free for the year and comes with a 1.2 ghz cpu and 700 ram and hard drive space. You have over 30 thousand
    software titles you can install and it remembers it's state on power down. (micro instance)

So you can use any VT8500 or wm8050 machine with windows CE on it
    Windows CE comes with REMOTE DESKTOP which will allow you to dial
    into the FREEcloud Linux machine.

That's it.....you have Linux on your low cost netbook for FREE.

Windows CE comes with REMOTE DESKTOP ready to go. So these chinese laptops will work right away for getting
    you into a linux computer easily and free over ethernet or WI FI.

These free cloud computers from Amazon are excellent...been using it for many months...you are allowed to use it 24 hours per day for the whole year for FREE. Also you will find that surfing the web and FLASH works perfect and is FAST on the cloud computer. Faster than any slate or laptop.

Just go to amazon web services....watch the youtube video about how you open a free account with a pre-pay credit card from the corner store. Then start a Linux machine up.

To choose your Linux machine just click LAUNCH INSTANCE and then select PUBLIC AMI's and type "desktop" into the search and choose EBS as the type.

You will see Ubuntu Linux desktop versions are all listed i386........use one of those recent examples. (Lucid)

Currently Amazon are NOT supporting SOUND. They are working on getting sound going on The ubunut cloud machines.

Thanks.

So in summary, any Slate or laptop can quite happily act as a windows or Linux computer by simply using a free cloud computer. It will work wellfor FLASH and tonnes of free Linux software.

Vince.

Beans

This a great knowledge base, i have come to understand the basics of this evil device, many thanks. Still it seems i cant get my 7"mini laptop to boot from the sd card. I insert the SD card, in which the android-ARM-8505-Smartbook file is copied, i power on the laptop and then:
    pocket CMD v 6.00
    storage card\MassProduction.bat:File not found

This is what i get, and then it just boots to wince. Have i got it all wrong? Can someone please help, im not so experienced with all these thanks in advance

Beans

justa bump to see if anyone has any updates or progress......

cheers everyone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Playing with my mom's Sylvania WM8505-based smartbook, and I think I might have borked it... I tried to install the Android image on page 66 of this thread, and the install seemed to go fine; however, after the reboot, the screen stayed black for upwards of 5 minutes. So, I downloaded the WinCE rom from Sylvania's website, and tried to flash back to that; again, the install went fine, and it booted into a live WinCE install, but when I tried to reboot the machine, nothing. Just a black screen.

Anybody have any ideas?
    You people have been led to believe that mediocrity is excellence. Uh-Uh! Ubuntu is excellence.

Beans

If you leave it and let it boot, can you ping it from the network? Mine failed, but I noticed the caps lock keys made the LEDs flash, so I typed in what I needed to log in and connect to the network, and I could ping it and ssh in.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Afraid not. It doesn't even seem to be touching my router; no sign of it on the active clients list or on the DHCP leases.
    You people have been led to believe that mediocrity is excellence. Uh-Uh! Ubuntu is excellence.

Beans

Tried booting Debian from SD card?
    There's no place like ~/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PerChristensen View Post
    Hi emostarxd and justsomeguy11
    Together with Celem,Winston91,Nextvolume,PrFaas and many others many months ago we tried to find the partition (of many,probably) on the Via VT8500 where to burn a new boot-loader and therefrom find where to install a linux distribution.Unfortunately there seem not to exist a "lift-off" tool for the VT8500 like the chinese tool for the different ZTK Samsung brand you are talking about.I guess you will find a partition for the boot-loader,a (hidden?) partition for the kernel and another for the file system on your machines,perhaps even more partitions.If you succsede in lifting off and burning back on your Anyka machines with the chinese tool I will be impressed.Good luck
    PS: There is much confusion around processors on these small books.The CNM books linked to above is to the "silver" windows CE edition,another linux CNM version use a different chip I vaguely remember,but I may be wrong.
    Sorry for the late reply... As far as i've been able to find out the bootloader is loaded from the 8-pins 'serial prom' that is located close to the actual CPU/SoC. In my case, the CPU and the serial prom are both located on a small 'plug-in' board on the machine's main board. It seems possible to 'blast' the contents of that serial prom when doing an 'incompatible' upgrade. In theory, it should be possible to de-solder the serial prom from the CPU board, and re-flash it. I presume there is some JTAG way to do that, but lacking 'doc' of that, de-soldering and re-flashing the prom seems the only way. For the DIY-er there are two obstacles:

1) to build a serial-prom programmer: the interface of the serial prom is an SPI interface, so it would not be all too difficult to trap together something for that. For smaller proms than this (93cx6 types..) i made something like that in the past, including a program to read/write those small serial (flash-)proms. The difference is that the proms i had where DIL, and this is an SO-8 package (meaning: it is smaller, and i have no chip socket for SO-8 ). You'd have to solder the chip into the programmer or else program the chip 'in-circuit'... The latter seems 'tricky' to me: one mistake and you burn your CPU chip. I have the datasheet of the serial boot-prom chip: it is a dead-common 512Kx8 SPI serial prom; nothing *really* special: Farnell has them for a few 'bucks'...

2) to obtain a binary file of the 'correct' serial-boot-prom for your machine. Only if you are *really* sure you have a correct boot-image-file for the exact computer you have is there any chance of success.

NB: one thing that irks me is that the serial prom *has* a write-protect input, and that that pin has not been used to provide for *some* protection of the boot-prom's contents... A simple pull-up resistor & 'jumper' could have made the boot-prom 'bullet-proof... Well, against accidental over-writes that is...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PrFaas View Post
    Sorry for the late reply... As far as i've been able to find out the bootloader is loaded from the 8-pins 'serial prom' that is located close to the actual CPU/SoC. In my case, the CPU and the serial prom are both located on a small 'plug-in' board on the machine's main board. It seems possible to 'blast' the contents of that serial prom when doing an 'incompatible' upgrade. In theory, it should be possible to de-solder the serial prom from the CPU board, and re-flash it. I presume there is some JTAG way to do that, but lacking 'doc' of that, de-soldering and re-flashing the prom seems the only way. For the DIY-er there are two obstacles:

1) to build a serial-prom programmer: the interface of the serial prom is an SPI interface, so it would not be all too difficult to trap together something for that. For smaller proms than this (93cx6 types..) i made something like that in the past, including a program to read/write those small serial (flash-)proms. The difference is that the proms i had where DIL, and this is an SO-8 package (meaning: it is smaller, and i have no chip socket for SO-8 ). You'd have to solder the chip into the programmer or else program the chip 'in-circuit'... The latter seems 'tricky' to me: one mistake and you burn your CPU chip. I have the datasheet of the serial boot-prom chip: it is a dead-common 512Kx8 SPI serial prom; nothing *really* special: Farnell has them for a few 'bucks'...

2) to obtain a binary file of the 'correct' serial-boot-prom for your machine. Only if you are *really* sure you have a correct boot-image-file for the exact computer you have is there any chance of success.

NB: one thing that irks me is that the serial prom *has* a write-protect input, and that that pin has not been used to provide for *some* protection of the boot-prom's contents... A simple pull-up resistor & 'jumper' could have made the boot-prom 'bullet-proof... Well, against accidental over-writes that is...
    thank you very much for that info !!! unfortunatly i don't have skills anywhere close to what is described here. on top of that i got this unit for 40 bucks from someone (because of the fact that he screwed it up) so i guess i should have just bought a case of beer instead of this toy..lol...but it was a great learning experience reading up on this stuff that's for sure~ maybe one day someone will conquer this machine and i'll be able to get it going.

it's just a pisser that the way everyone describs how to get these things going with the sd card won't work for me (but that's normally my luck that nothing is ever easy)..

it's still boggles me though why it's freezing up on safe mode/normal mode when booting from the sd card. no matter what file i put on it does that ! then just stays on the logo when rebooted....i was really hopeing that my kid would be able to use this and have her "own" laptop...(she's only 5)....lol....

thanks again guys...it's all greatly appreciated and i love to hear everybody's new ideas...

Page 115 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast