Page 51 of 124 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Colten View Post
    Not sure how helpful this is, if at all, but it appears that my netbook is able to be updated:
    http://tracker2map.com/google_youtube.htm
    I dont really understand how that works, or if its just a program I run, but it appears it does something to the OS before you run the .exe
    If you get this upgrade to work, let me know. I've followed the instructions exactly but my Delstar won't upgrade. The company ignores my email. Thanks. Chuck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've got a bit of good news on the other hand
    I myself have downloaded those MorpModule emulators, and they do work, a bit slow, but they work! I dowloaded them quite a while ago and just never thought to mention, and I got them from a different site.

BUT I also just got MiniVMac working yesterday, if you just go onto the Mini vMac site, and go under ports there is a Windows CE one, I'm using the plus one, THE IMPORTANT THING that I didn't know is that the disk image has to be called "disk1.dsk" (I tried everything I could think of, just not that of course) and then just numerically higher from that, disk2,disk3 etc...
    at least there's a bit more we can screw around with until Linux is up and running later.

Beans

QUOTE=nextvolume;8631512]Finally! I found randomly how to work around the via_ata_interrupt issue and I've got Linux up and running on this netbook, from SD card, even. =P
    I simply give a fatload command with a very small file as argument and wait a bit.
    Hopefully it won't screw up your Windows CE installation, though I've not tested that yet.

It's still a very long way to a decent distribution (which is hard since the kernel is not really for this hardware), but you can telnet to it and play with it a bit.

Here is how you load it:
    1) Get the files here, http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/eas...sypc_linux.tgz
    2) Put the script directory in the archive on a SD card
    3) Put the SD card into the SD card slot into your easy pc notebook.
    4) Power on the easy pc notebook
    5) Some messages will be printed on the screen when it loads stuff on RAM.
    When the screen blanks and scrambled things begin appearing on the screen,
    reboot.

6) Now your netbook will display a cut 1024x768 image on a 800x480 screen.
    Let Linux boot, and do not power off the system when Booting appears.

7) Now Linux will boot and it will display its messages on the screen.

Some times there will still be the "via_ata_interrupt" issue, reboot until
    it goes out.

The first time you will do this probably a Kaser Netclient logo will appear on the screen, and it won't mount anything as root filesystem. It seems that it needs to build the bad blocks table for the NAND flash in the notebook, and that seems to take a while. I recommend to wait around 30 minutes, and then power off your system by pressing the power button.

Now reboot and keep the SD card in it. Do the same thing and now if all goes well you should be able to telnet to local IP 192.168.1.12. Use root as username, and you will receive a shell prompt, you can then play with it.

In this archive I've included several things, like dmesg, some things from /proc, etc.

Now I think the best solution will be creating a root filesystem from scratch, and I think that unless a way to change the framebuffer resolution is found this system is best used remotely.

To restore the original resolution download this file and replace the scriptcmd file in the script directory on the SD card with it. Then boot with the SD card inserted as usual and follow what appears on the screen.[/QUOTE]

Has any one tried this http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=109

I cant get past the Some times there will still be the "via_ata_interrupt" issue, reboot until it goes out.

Any Help would be great... so i hope this is the help everyone needs......... i have a via arm-vt8500

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nextvolume View Post
    Finally! I found randomly how to work around the via_ata_interrupt issue and I've got Linux up and running on this netbook, from SD card, even. =P
    I simply give a fatload command with a very small file as argument and wait a bit.
    Hopefully it won't screw up your Windows CE installation, though I've not tested that yet.

It's still a very long way to a decent distribution (which is hard since the kernel is not really for this hardware), but you can telnet to it and play with it a bit.

Here is how you load it:
    reboot.

it goes out.

The first time you will do this probably a Kaser Netclient logo will appear on the screen, and it won't mount anything as root filesystem. It seems that it needs to build the bad blocks table for the NAND flash in the notebook, and that seems to take a while. I recommend to wait around 30 minutes, and then power off your system by pressing the power button.

Now reboot and keep the SD card in it. Do the same thing and now if all goes well you should be able to telnet to local IP 192.168.1.12. Use root as username, and you will receive a shell prompt, you can then play with it.

In this archive I've included several things, like dmesg, some things from /proc, etc.

Now I think the best solution will be creating a root filesystem from scratch, and I think that unless a way to change the framebuffer resolution is found this system is best used remotely.

To restore the original resolution download this file and replace the scriptcmd file in the script directory on the SD card with it. Then boot with the SD card inserted as usual and follow what appears on the screen.

I have restarted about 50 tims and im still stuck HELP PLEASE

Beans

I have taken this thing completely apart my board is yellow and its Numbers are

p7O6_main_v2

the cpu board is:

p7O1_cpu_v5

the cpu chip is a
    VIA VT8500
    0929CD
    TAIWAN
    2JA1009831

The dram is a ZENTEL

Hope this helps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Colten View Post
    My problem is similar to this one. I bought a Delstar DS700 Netbook with the following specs:
    (According to box)
    Samsung 533Mhz CPU
    FYI: http://www.fluff.org/ben/linux-26/status.html

status Samsung SoC's & linux kernel. May be a bit 'dated'

Beans

jgundo, you should use the Linux here: http://tails92.sepwich.com/easypc_linux
    Despite the name of the archive, they're different. easy pc linux 0.1 has an hacked kernel which should always boot, never gets stuck at via_ata_interrupt and is actually a distribution (and not Kaser's initrd hacked a bit). that's why we need a better resource abot this, looking into old posts you believe to have found something new while you have found something that should not be used anymore.

Beans

jgundo, you should use the Linux here: http://tails92.sepwich.com/easypc_linux
    Despite the name of the archive, they're different. easy pc linux 0.1 has an hacked kernel which should always boot, never gets stuck at via_ata_interrupt and is actually a distribution (and not Kaser's initrd hacked a bit). that's why we need a better resource abot this, looking into old posts you believe to have found something new while you have found something that should not be used anymore.

I will give this a try when i get home from school today ....... thank you up front for the help....... josh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So i take it that just means this one is a step back from the version that I have, I have the easypc_linus0.1 what is the difference? and what is that normal resolution thing?

Beans

We are waiting for a new release for Easy PC Linux, version 0.1 works fine. Any date for a new version with X11?

Thanks you everyone, mainly thanks to Nextvolume!
    dan_dan

Finally! I found randomly how to work around the via_ata_interrupt issue and I've got Linux up and running on this netbook, from SD card, even. =P

Here is how you load it:
    reboot.

it goes out.

To restore the original resolution download this file and replace the scriptcmd file in the script directory on the SD card with it. Then boot with the SD card inserted as usual and follow what appears on the screen.

Page 51 of 124 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast