Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Sorry,my monologue continue.The FlashMagic tool would not recognize the linux kernel binary,and LPC2000 flash utility do not support burning over LAN.

As ARM compiled U-boot bootloader,Linux kernel and cramfs Linux filesystem are available (I will go for the ARM926EJ brand) it could be possible to burn a running system with tftp command via port 69

http://www.embedian.com/index.php?ma...=ubootdownload

Notes from ARM homepages say: U-Boot is expected to run from 0x01000000 in memory on ARM boards (Later RealView boards 0x06000000) but the embedian method looks OK.

Some fiddling is necessary,and I will later give it a try with crossover cable from Linux machine to mini notebook.
    The notebook recognize cabled LAN out of the box when wireless disabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Reading linux-arm.org confirms my suspicion that an external device is required to load the image. "Images can be installed into flash using a debugger connected to the board via a JTAG run control device, such ARM RealView ICE units. "

The VT-8500 is a System On a Chip:

Via Technologies has quietly established a subsidiary called WonderMedia, which is readying a multimedia-capable ARM9-based system-on-chip (SoC). An early version of the “Prizm” SoC, called the VT8500, is available in a Linux-ready NorhTec MicroClient TC thin-client that costs $100, says the company.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9...95.html?kc=rss
    ----
    Linux user since before Yggdrasil, Unix before that while with the real AT&T.

Beans

Celem,perhaps it was such a board we should be playing with instead!.Or wait until our minibook does come with Linux - the coming "Africa 100$ model" your link point to is just what we both are looking for,so why spend time on a project like this?.

Nevermind,because of bad weather and pure ice on the roads I have just been able to focus on buying a couple of christmas presents and get home unharmed,so I still need a crossovercable (and now also a oldfashioned male-male USB cable) to work the Linux way.

A small progress: via vt8500 arm processor seems to be identical to the arm926EJ-S processor.

On Vista wireless laptop I have enabled telnet + TFTP client (control panel -> programs install/uninstall -> turn windows programs on/of ) + disabled the Windows firewall,and after rebooting with into safe mode with network enabled due to some (antivirus?) issues these clients work well at CMD prompt.

WindowsCE also has CMD in the Windows directory.It has (undocumented) ping,and via wireless I can ping back and forth.To check my wireless routers firewall settings / a working port 69 on notebook from Vista I did " telnet xxx.xxx.x.xxx 69 " where x stand for mini notebook IP.When no error in terminal/CMD window everything should be OK.

On mini notebook I have copied this TFTP server to the root (the ARM V4I version):

http://tftpce.codeplex.com/Release/P...eleaseId=23013

I renamed to TFTP.exe and can then be started from WindowsCE CMD when typing TFTP,or on doubleclick,and will display: server is bound to port 69 waiting for connection.
    From Vista you can then do " tftp -i xxx.xxx.x.xxx put c:/kids.gif " or similar (where again x stand for mini notebook IP),and the picture will be transferred to the notebook`s root.I have not figured out to TFTP the other way.

As I have understood the main thing is to copy the binaries to memory of notebook and then reboot - have a look at middle section of this article,if you like:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/L...ce-bootloader/

Under all circumstances this little thing is nice - the office suite alone is worth the money,and Skype should work also,if installed.Hotspots are everywhere these days,so sit down in your café and pull your office up your pocket.

It could be interesting to check if the notebook is recognized as flash drive by Windows if connected with USB cable and the booted up - (or booted up with zzz or another button pressed).
    Last edited by PerChristensen; December 21st, 2009 at 05:32 AM.

Beans

This forum has been very helpful. I have been trying to find information to do this for the past month or so. My wife bought two of these mini-notebooks or 7 inch Notebooks as they are called on the box. Information was very hard to come by. I come from a Windows background, with the last bit of my Unix work done while I was in college in the 90s. So I had to do a lot of research. The main reason I wanted to switch to Linux, was because Adobe Flash is not fully supported on Windows CE 6.0. The reason my wife got the notebooks, was for my daughters to use to access their favorite web pages which are all Flash sites. I was able to hack the Windows CE 6.0 R3 to get the correct Dlls for Adobe Flash Lite support (which currently only goes up to Flash 8 and register Flash Lite using the the IE.reg file in WIN CE 6.0 R3. Since all the sites have been updated to use Flash 9 or above..they can't use them for the purpose they were bought.

Anyway I looked through some of the references you all posted and noticed the Notes for installing Linux on Arm. Did you see the notes? It references a tool that I am now currently trying to find: Network Flash Utility. "This program enables programming of images into flash using an
    ethernet connection."
    Here is the link to the Notes. http://www.linux-arm.org/LinuxReference/LinuxOnARMDev?redirectedfrom=Main.LinuxOnARMDev

Beans

There is a keyboard key with "Z z z" on it, which implys, to me atleast, sleep mode. However, it does nothing. Furthermore, closing the lid does not darken the screen or trigger a sleep or hibernate mode. In fact, in the control panel's Poers section, the sleep and hibernate modes are greyed out. Obviously this machine doesn't support sleep or hibernate mode - possibly due to the missing BIOS and its associated APCI. The keyboard key with "Z z z" is probably generic and intended for a different model, namely one with a BIOS.

I found out that the Zzz key is actually the Windows Key. It has the same functionality of the windows key...Try it out. Zzz key + E opens Windows Explorer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

My boss just bought one of these for the same reason as the post above - For the kids to play Internet games. He gave it to me to see if I could get linux + flash on it. It's a cute little thing, but it sounds like I'm going to have to tell him the bad news. I can't risk bricking his netbook.

Beans

Well if we figure it out maybe we can put up some step by step instructions.

Beans

Hello dwinston91 and doudar.

Yes,Youtube and facebook is what the kids want - and do not get.
    I too have googled for the Network Flash Utility (NFU) seeming to be part of software ment for the RealView developing boards.These (commercial) boards + the belonging proprietary applications cost something,and the RealView company will probably (and understandable) stick to this utility.
    But to ask politely does not cost anything .

I remember a MP4 player (sunplus game king) looking a bit like a PSP but with camera and emulating NES games:

http://mympxplayer.org/1-vt8674.html...r=asc&&start=0

When connected via USB to Windows PC and pressing a "combo" when booting the device Windows would ask for the camera drivers,then part of flash ROM was mounted as a drive,and a hidden operating system could be lifted off with a tool found in the downloads/tools section on the site.
    Some ARM tools perhaps can be found at the site,I have not looked yet.

I guess our ARM chip also support camera / webcam if used in other devices.Also one could search/ask for help at Samsung who perhaps has licensed this processor to company VIA.
    Just back from a meeting,will now have a cup of cofee.Talk to you later.
    Last edited by PerChristensen; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Beans

I can actually view some Youtube videos. Some say it requires Flash 9, but I have watched a few videos on Youtube. I can also view my Facebook pages as well. I mentioned how I hacked the WinCE 6.0 R3 Adobe Flash Lite and I am able to view some flash sites.
    Last edited by dwinston91; December 22nd, 2009 at 02:51 AM.

Beans

Indeed this is an amazing gadget as it is.Probably email client nPOP 1.0.9 can be set up to read my yahoo mail, a telnet client PocketPuTTY look promising, an early version 1.21 of the Total Commander for windowsCE also is freeware etc. etc..
    Too I read on the net the Firefox community are working on a port of Firefox webbrowser for - yes - Windows CE6!.

The youtube mobile site

www.m.youtube.com

unfortunately on my netbook trigger the Windows media player not supporting youtube mobile .3gp format,and my system hang.If instead the Core player was triggered I think videos would have played ok..

dwinston91,could you be kind and give a hint of your hack to get youtube videos working?.

I still intend to explore our device a bit more when peace settles in the holidays,but perhaps I should think of this old Bob Dylan tune before pressing the final enter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xGTanXvfs

Merry Christmas to all.
    Last edited by PerChristensen; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:16 AM.

Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast