Page 10 of 124 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

If the board is blue, it is more than likely like celem and my board..made by Benigntech. Probably a BV07_A_8500.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nextvolume View Post
    Hello, I have an Alpie Technologie Easypc E700 Wince series 7'' Notebook. It's like your machines. It came with (partly) Italian Windows CE 6.0 which I lost.

You have been very helpful to me, this is like the only place I found on the internet where people are talking about this subject.
    That said, the files in VT8500Software.rar worked successfully for me and I've "unbricked" my laptop about three times as of now.

Unluckily the internal mouse and keyboard aren't working because probably I broke a fuse on the motherboard for them while I was trying to fit the keyboard cable back in, USB mouse and keyboard work fine, though.

"scriptcmd" is simply an U-Boot script image, you can do that with the mkimage tool. Our notebooks use a modified version of U-Boot with some non-standard commands (cleanlcd, textout, sdwaitins). Most commands work, like mw (which does memory writes). I was even able to write small images converted to script on the framebuffer with a program I wrote, and they displayed on the screen fine, directly from U-Boot.
    I wasn't able to redirect the U-Boot output and input, though. Maybe I have to do saveenv and reboot? I'm afraid to brick my notebook if I do that :/

About running Linux on this machine, I got the Linux kernel for the YF-700 to boot, by remaining only the parts of the script where it loads the kernel and the ramdisk on the flash and where it sets bootcmd and bootargs, and by playing with lcdparam, I changed the 800 and 480 in that variable to 1024 and 768, so I get a cut 1024x768 image on the screen, but the output doesn't appear as garbage and it is fully readable font. Remember to do saveenv as it won't change resolution with lcdinit! It hangs at "irq3: nobody cared" and in (function?) via_ata_interrupt, because this machine doesn't have a SATA controller unlike the YF-700 thin client (based around the VIA VT8500 as well). There are no sources for this kernel, even if Linux is GPL. I contacted Kaser Corp. (the makers of the YF-700) for the sources yesterday, but I've not received any answer yet. If we could recompile the kernel, we would have our nice Linux...

I'd recommend to contact them about that: http://www.kasernet.com/contact-us
    The more we are, the better it is. It's GPL anyway, it's a legal obligation.

You can find the Linux I was talking about here: http://kasernet.livedrive.com/frameset.php?path=/files/

Kasernet's Public files > Public > YF-700 > Firmware > Busybox

Here is my directory on my webspace about this notebook: http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/easypc

notes.txt contains my note about the machine. There are also VT8500Software.rar, VT8505Software.rar, and dwinston91's wince_bak.zip.

linux_scriptcmd is the script you have to replace scriptcmd with to use the files in busybox-kernel-1.17.1.rar which you can find in the directory of Kaser I told you about.
    linux_scriptcmd also sets up the resolution to 1024x768.
    There's no risk of bricking of your notebook as Windows CE in VT8500Software.rar will restore just fine - and will restore the screen resolution as well.

P.S: To be clearer, the resolution of the LCD is actually 800x480. We apparently get the video card to output 1024x768 and the screen only displays the first horizontal 800 pixels and the first vertical 480 pixels.

-nextvolume
    Thanks so much for this information. This is exactly what we have been looking for. Especially looking at your notes. You have a board from Benigntech like in this link:
    http://www.benigntech.com.cn/en/prod...lb=141&slb=192.

Your notes are very helpful. Now I have to figure out, how to make a LiveCD/LiveSD version so that I can run it from the SD card and still keep Windows CE 6 in tact.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwinston91 View Post
    Thanks so much for this information. This is exactly what we have been looking for. Especially looking at your notes. You have a board from Benigntech like in this link:
    http://www.benigntech.com.cn/en/prod...lb=141&slb=192.

Your notes are very helpful. Now I have to figure out, how to make a LiveCD/LiveSD version so that I can run it from the SD card and still keep Windows CE 6 in tact.

Might you be able to post the findings and how to once you get this done bud? also, do you think we can port android over to it? jacob doesn't want to help at all in this because it threatens his bussiness...what a shame someone as good as him cannot help us at all..

Beans

We need to see the files on a u-boot device some companies are offering..if ebay has one ill see if i can get it and post an image file of that device.

Beans

password for the cnm netbook is ztk

Beans

Hello, I have an Alpie Technologie Easypc E700 Wince series 7'' Notebook. It's like your machines. It came with (partly) Italian Windows CE 6.0 which I lost.

You have been very helpful to me, this is like the only place I found on the internet where people are talking about this subject.
    That said, the files in VT8500Software.rar worked successfully for me and I've "unbricked" my laptop about three times as of now.

Unluckily the internal mouse and keyboard aren't working because probably I broke a fuse on the motherboard for them while I was trying to fit the keyboard cable back in, USB mouse and keyboard work fine, though.

"scriptcmd" is simply an U-Boot script image, you can do that with the mkimage tool. Our notebooks use a modified version of U-Boot with some non-standard commands (cleanlcd, textout, sdwaitins). Most commands work, like mw (which does memory writes). I was even able to write small images converted to script on the framebuffer with a program I wrote, and they displayed on the screen fine, directly from U-Boot.
    I wasn't able to redirect the U-Boot output and input, though. Maybe I have to do saveenv and reboot? I'm afraid to brick my notebook if I do that :/

About running Linux on this machine, I got the Linux kernel for the YF-700 to boot, by remaining only the parts of the script where it loads the kernel and the ramdisk on the flash and where it sets bootcmd and bootargs, and by playing with lcdparam, I changed the 800 and 480 in that variable to 1024 and 768, so I get a cut 1024x768 image on the screen, but the output doesn't appear as garbage and it is fully readable font. Remember to do saveenv as it won't change resolution with lcdinit! It hangs at "irq3: nobody cared" and in (function?) via_ata_interrupt, because this machine doesn't have a SATA controller unlike the YF-700 thin client (based around the VIA VT8500 as well). There are no sources for this kernel, even if Linux is GPL. I contacted Kaser Corp. (the makers of the YF-700) for the sources yesterday, but I've not received any answer yet. If we could recompile the kernel, we would have our nice Linux...

You can find the Linux I was talking about here: http://kasernet.livedrive.com/frameset.php?path=/files/

Here is my directory on my webspace about this notebook: http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/easypc

notes.txt contains my note about the machine. There are also VT8500Software.rar, VT8505Software.rar, and dwinston91's wince_bak.zip.

linux_scriptcmd is the script you have to replace scriptcmd with to use the files in busybox-kernel-1.17.1.rar which you can find in the directory of Kaser I told you about.
    There's no risk of bricking of your notebook as Windows CE in VT8500Software.rar will restore just fine - and will restore the screen resolution as well.

P.S: To be clearer, the resolution of the LCD is actually 800x480. We apparently get the video card to output 1024x768 and the screen only displays the first horizontal 800 pixels and the first vertical 480 pixels.

-nextvolume

also for anyone haveing keyboard/mouse/wifi not starting problems from no where, I found on one of my netbooks as I call em, is that it was due to a bad block in nand (in my case 3) I moved all the hardware to a board with a good nand chip on it and they worked,same exact model. so im assuming this is why it did that, now to see if you have bad blocks, all you have to do is do a clean reboot, goto windows directory, and check a program called seriel view, it'll report the satus of the nand chip if it finds anyting abnormal, however its alot of stuff to read through, its in their somewhere.
    Last edited by shade_emry; January 7th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

-nextvolume
    nextvolume, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I formatted an SD card on a windows XP Pro machine, as a FAT Partition (Not Fat 32). I created the scriptcmd with mkimage, by copying the text you had in your Notes file, and placed the resulting scriptcmd file in the root folder. The only thing I didn't do was create a folder called scripts and place the files there, but all I seem to get is Windows CE 6 booting up. Please help. Any suggestions would be great. I am attempting to create a LiveSD version of Ubuntu for ARM (with the Marvell Dove image file). Here is my scriptcmd file contents:

setenv lcdparam 1,30000,5,1024,768,48,40,40,3,29,13,1,D8110004|0x4 000000,D8110024|0x4000000,D8110044|0x4000000,D8110 03c|0x2,D811005c&~0x2
    fatload mmc 0 0 /casper/uImage
    fatload mmc 0 1000000 /casper/uInitrd
    textout 60 132 "Loading LiveSD kernel ..." ffff00
    setenv bootcmd mem=512M file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed -- boot=casper
    bootm 0 1000000

Beans

You have to put the files in a directory called script that's why it doesn't start up.
    And check if you've used mkimage as I documented.
    Last edited by nextvolume; January 7th, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Beans

I'll try putting the files in a directory called script. Yes, I used mkimage to create the scriptcmd file. The text above is just a plain text copy of the actual script. Thanks for the quick response too!

Beans

I had edited my last post with these things, but I saw you posted already by the time I had finished editing, so here is the content, so it is more noticeable:

Passing mem=512M to the kernel says to it that your machine has 512MB of RAM, which is not true and will probably lead to an hang-up.

fatload seems to follow this syntax: fatload mmc 0 <memory address> <file>
    bootm according to the U-Boot manual is like this: bootm addr [args]

Then you should invert the arguments to the bootm command.
    The RAM you write on is safe as it what the other scripts use as well.

I should get a better idea of the memory and then I should program and together an ELF binary of some test just for kicks =P

Page 10 of 124 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast