Thread: Please help a linux newbie!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Please help a linux newbie!

Hi all,
    I really need someone help! as i have little to no knowlege of linux or entering command lines in the terminal.
    I have a fujisu siemens v5535 laptop and i have installed the latest version of ubuntu on it, i always get stuck at 800*600 resolution.
    I have in stalled a .deb file that is for my sis graphics card and it is working perfectly at 1280*800 the problem i have is if i shutdown my laptop and turn it on again it keeps the resolution.
    but if i shutdown the laptop for say 1 hour and reboot it the screen comes on and starts booting ubuntu but the screen turns off mid boot but ubuntu keeps booting with no display at all.
    no matter how many time i reboot i can not get the display to go further than mid boot.
    sorry if this all sound confusing.
    i have looked through the forums and tryed putting in different commands sometimes it asks my for my sudo password? i have tryed putting this in but nothing appears on the screen is this the same password as i put in when installing ubuntu.
    any help would be great but you would have to explain each step in detail as i am a complete wally!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Please help a linux newbie!

Have you considered starting over?

I think you are saying the computer is completely unusable now. But perhaps I don't understand what you said.

Do you get to the Grub screen, where you have choices about how to boot? Can you take the "recovery" option?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Please help a linux newbie!

soryy it is me not putting it across well.
    for some reason the laptop forgets its display drivers after a period of time turned off, on boot up you get the bios screen then the ubuntu symbol then the screen turns off?

i have tryed reinstaling the op and reinstalling the drivers over and over same problem everytime.

i find it frustrating as it took ages to find a working driver on the net that really gets the screen looking well.

the laptop will remeber the drivers if you restart or shut down and then reboot straight away.
    but if left shut down for a period of time you loose dispaly completly!

again sorry for not putting this across well.

stu